What for editing home movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cattywampus_, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have just got myself a MiniDV camcorder. I was excited about using iMovie to edit my movies - but now I have used it, seems to offer little to none decent tools. Like, splitting a segment of DV video seems to be impossible?

I am looking for an easy to use yet moderatly powerful video editing program . Universal Binary is a must!

Anyone?

2. apple1984 macrumors member

apple1984

This is just my opinion, but iMovie is an incredibly powerful tool for editing audiovisual materials. Try taking a class in iMovie at your local Apple Store.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I use iMovie to cut & split DV footage, it works well. Other than that, I use Final Cut - well I am slowly getting to grips with it.

I don't know of any others sorry. This should be an interesting thread though to see what others come up with.

David

4. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have looked at iMovie and it really doesnt seem to offer me much in ways of splitting and stuff. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. Will try and find some online tutorials as the nearest Apple store is over an hours drive away and I dont drive :(

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

iMovie, Final Cut Express (and Pro if you want to spend more) and soon Adobe Premiere are the only real options.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Final Cut Express HD 3.5 soon to be Final Cut Express 4. You might want to wait for the April 15 NAB announcements. You can also get Final Cut Studio 5.1UB for $199 if you're resorceful enough to find an old PPC - Learn How by reading some of my many posts on the subject seraching for other posts by me by clicking on my name.

Universal Upgrade Postmark Deadline is March 19

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

*I think* CMD-T splits the track. It should be in one of the menus.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'd stick it out with iMovie a little longer, try looking for online tutorials or see if your local library has a book on it. If it turns out that it can't do everything you want, then take a look at Final Cut Express. The Apple Store tutorial would help you out...so try to convince a family member/neighbor/friend that they need to go to the mall with the nearest Apples store at the same time the iMovie workshop is held (you can check for the times online here).

9. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

how about getting a book on imovie since apple store is so far away?

imovie actually is pretty powerful, but it takes some digging to find all the functions.

10. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

IMovie works great for straight forward editing. To cut a clip either scroll to "Split video clip at playhead" in the "Edit" menu or hit apple-T. You can cut a clip into as many pieces as you want and then drag and drop in your timeline or cut using the same function right in your timeline. There has to be a decent tutorial at apple.com.

rk

11. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

"Easy to use but moderately powerful" is exactly what iMovie is, and :apple:-T is what you use to split your video segments. Before going for a book or a tutorial, I'd just play around with it for a while. Import some video and just go to town.

12. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

You should try a finalcut alternative called Avidemux i've used it on my friends Linux computer before and it worked really well, its better tha imovie but not quite up to par with FinalCut and best of all its FREE
    never tried the mac version

just give it a try

13. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502