What free or cheep programs can I use on a mac for guitar synth

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wake up Jobs!!!, Aug 6, 2002.

1. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

Hi I was looking for a program on the mac that I can hook up my guitar into it through the audio in port, synth the music with a destortor (flange, delay, overdrive etc.....) and then go through the adio out port on my mac to a amplifier. Is there any inexpensive programs for this . I am using a Fender Telecaster with a sunburst Paint Job, If anyone wants to know.

Thanx,
    -GaBe

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: What free or cheep programs can I use on a mac for guitar synth

Spark ME is FREE and is a wonderful audio processor/editor. you can get it here: http://www.tcworks.de
    If you want to spend a little money get yourself Ableton Live. It is simply amazing and will allow you to record, edit and process fx all on the fly. Plus a million other features that are killer. You can get the demo here: http://www.ableton.com

Both are OSX ready. Enjoy!

3. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Vision DSP

The first and still the best audio/midi solution is Vision DSP - $59.95. This software has no equal. Trust me, I own every music software you can think of, and none are better than Vision DSP or Studio Vision Pro - $99.95.

Opcode are the leading pioneers for audio on the Mac platform. They engineered OMS.

Opcode use to sell this software for $999. Now, they are just about giving it away. Vision DSP has all the features as Logic Platinum, and Cubase VST, but not all the bugs since Vision DSP has been in development on the Mac since 1990. I own Logic Platinum and Cubase SX and both are still riddled with bugs. Cubase and Logic didn't support the Mac until late 1994. Cubase and Logic were originally written for that piece of crap Atari. Do you remember that junk? You probably weren't conceived yet.

Vision DSP won't run on Mac OS X, but you don't need Mac OS X for music and don't want Mac OS X because all the plugins out there don't support Mac OS X, and you will want plugins to do guitar effects, etc. It will be at least 2 years before all the music software companys support Mac OS X, so don't wait around for that nonsense. Besides, you will probably have to pay for 3 or 4 updates for Mac OS X if you go with that dog. Wait 2 years until they get all the bugs out, then buy it.

Mac based guitar plugins:

http://dsound1.com/download/index_en.php3

But if you want the best guitar amp software plugins for the Mac, buy Amplitube or Warp VST.

If you want a MIDI guitar, you will have to get a Roland GR-33 with the GK-2A pickup.

Peter

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Vision DSP

hey, i've always thought about SVP but could never find much info. i'm a long time Logic user but am always looking to try new things. my main question: does Studio Vision Pro support VST instruments. this is very important to me since it's almost all i use. it's my main reason for sticking with Logic. Also, does it have ReWire support? I use Reason alot too. thanks.

5. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Yes. Check the links in my earlier post. Studio Vision Pro supports VST and Rewire. Don't be fooled by the low price. Like I said, they sold that program for years for $999.

The reason it is cheap is Opcode doesn't plan to update the program anymore. But man, they don't need to, SVP has got everything need, is easy to use, and best of all it is bug free. Pros been using Studio Vision Pro long before Pro Tools ever came out.

Peter

6. wake up Jobs!!! thread starter macrumors regular