What G4 for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Volcom, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Volcom macrumors newbie

I'm very interested in 3d animation and I have begun to read books on Maya and the industry and have become very compelled to purchase a Mac. G5's are to expensive for me right now and G4's seem just right. I'm looking for help to pick out a good/great system for Maya (I know about free version), Photoshop, Dream Weave, etc.

Here’s what I have come up with:

Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz with 2b l3 cache per processor
    80 GB 7200 rpm
    1 gig ddr333 sdram
    ATI Radeon 9000 pro dual monitor
    Apple SuperDrive

And for monitors (I believe dual would be the ideal set up, tell me if I’m mistaken )

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-107&depa=1 going for 2 of them. I have read good things for picture and no change of colors at angles

Please let me know what I should do

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I'm sure others will tell you this, but you should maybe think of getting a refurbished single processor g5. Faster architecture, bus speed, vieo card, higher resale value, etc, etc.

you can compare benchmark tests between the g4 and g5 at http:www.xbench.com

As far as those monitors go...couldn't tell you. I know plenty of video editors and animators that work with the Apple monitors though. Good refresh rates and color.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Barefeats is a good place to go to compare G4 and G5s. Right now the dual processor G4 is probably faster now. This will only be the case until more software is optimized for G5. Then I would think that the G5 would be faster than the dual G4. So for that reason, I would probably go with the refurbished G5 as well. I think you'd be happer longer

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you can afford it i would also recomend the G5 because it will last you longer than the Dual G4s will...and like others have mentioned, once software becomes optimized for 64-bit the G5 will be your best bet..

5. Volcom thread starter macrumors newbie

6. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I dislike ebay in general for delicate and highly fraudable items...not to mention the prices are market or higher. I would say fish around here, in general I trust people better within this community and there is a more direct support network, AND you'll get a better price as they won't be paying an ebay fee.

Keep in mind the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 and higher architecture, as that will have a lot to do with it being a better long run value. I got the 1.25 dual G4 rather than 1.6 because I saw very little difference and couldn't afford to go higher. I am very satisfied with my computer, but that was in October/ november or so I believe...now I would be more encouraged going with a G5. I would also suggest calling local apple stores or resellers, see if they have returned or display items, great values on those!

7. Volcom thread starter macrumors newbie

new plan is to take out 1 monitor and just use 1 so im going to go wiht the G5 Dual 1.8, 1 gig ram, 160 gig 7200rpm harddrive, and the 17inch apple monitor :cool:

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I personally think that you will be very happy with this computer and that you have made an outstanding decision. Congrats!!!! Enjoy!!!!

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

good to see you going with the G5. . . thats what i would reccomend. but why are you going with the apple monitor cant you get the other one you were looking at cheaper?