What G4 is best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xaphonyx, Jun 22, 2005.

1. xaphonyx macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2004
    las Vegas
    I currently work at home on a Dual 2.0ghz g5 with 1gb of ram. Well im moving into an office in the next couple months, and the g5 is going to work. So that leaves me with no apple at home, and i cant have that, hehe. So ive been debating buying a mini or a dual g4 tower. i dont have alot of time to make up mind, so i need your guys help. I dont need the fastest computer in the world, i will be using it mostly for browsing the internet, itunes, and some photoshop/illustrator work time to time. The last g4 i used was a dual 1.25 at my old job and i really liked it, but the prices for those on ebay have yet to significantly drop. How does a dual g4 compare to a mini, for either option i will have 1gb of ram. I dont really plan on upgrading it beyond that, i basically want something to last me at home for personal use until the damn intel macs come out. If i get the mini i would like to hook it up to my hdtv as the display. It has a DVI input, but its a sony and i heard people have had problems with that, has that worked well for anyone? is it easily possible to do the same with g4 tower. Well thanks for any help, you guys are the experts, let me know what you think.
    BTW $1000 is my budget for this.
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    hmm..With a budget of 1000, you should definetely get a dual g4, not a mac mini...
  3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    i personally like the dual G4 Quicksilvers. i look nice and they still have the dual optical drive slots. if you plan to spend around $1000, then i would suggest trying to find a Dual 1.0 GHz QS on eBay or something.

thats my 2 cents

Dual 1.0 GHz. G4, Quicksilver

not sure however, if the video card has DVI on that 4x AGP card or not.
  4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  5. product26 macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    i have a dual 1ghz quicksilver, its a great machine, stable, snappy, etc, but i would like to upgrade. Chances are, if you are used to a dual G5, any downgrade will be a big one.

BUT!!! my dual 1ghz has served me well, and will continue to do so until i decide if an intel based mac is worth the wait.