What G4 Mac to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SpookTheHamster, Nov 2, 2006.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I just got a call from a rather panicky mother, claiming her computer "went bang". Turns out that the motherboard fried itself. It's so old I don't want to bother with repairing it, and I've been trying to get them off Windows for ages. So this is a perfect time to get them a Mac.

I'm looking at different G4 desktops on eBay, but I wondered if there was anything I should take into account regarding different models. The iMacs and eMacs seem similarly priced, and the Minis are quite a bit more expensive. I've heard of logic board deaths in eMacs, what sort of other problems should I be wary of?

Also, how much would you pay for a G4 iMac or an eMac? I know the prices are going to vary considerably for different configurations, but a sensible maximum would be nice to know.

While we're here, does anyone on the forum have a G4 desktop they want to be rid of?

2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'd say if you're lucky, you can get a very decent emac for $300. I've seen them very aggressively priced on craigslist before. Try there for the best prices.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Im very happy with my 1ghz iMac G4 I only paid $350 for it and it was well worth it.