What games are best for Mac users to dish out multiplayer punishment to PC mates?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Alexsaru, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Alexsaru macrumors newbie

Back when I was at University I wasted many hours that potentially could have been put to better use fragging, overpowering and destroying those who I lived with via network games. However, those were all windows computers. :eek:

Now, having just established a wireless network in the apartment block I live in, the possibility exists again for me to dish out pain IEEE802.11g styles. :cool:

Well, that was the plan anyway until I realised I only know a single set of games that are network compatible between OS X and windows. And that would be the Unreal Tournament bunch. While that's all well and good, my wee iBook G4 and my friend's Athlon3000+ would like to wrap their teeth around some other multiplayer gaming goodness.

So my question is simply this. What are the best PC & Mac network compatible games out there at the moment?

BTW, sorry if this has already been addressed in another thread. I searched, but as you might notice I'm fairly new to actually being interactive on this forum. Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestions! :)

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Halo and Solider of Fortune 2. I know there are others

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Call of Duty
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (free)
    Quake III
    Pretty much any game based on the Quake III engine.

I sure some of the RTS games from MacSoft are able to play across platform.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You forgot all games of the Unreal series, warcraft 2,3,World of Warcraft, Diablo, Myth 1,2 (I don't know about 3), Starcraft, DOOM 3 (I think)

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I LOVED the Myth series (except for The Wolf Age). And Diablo II still has a very active online community, although there are a lot of 1337 hAx0rs on there these days.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

8. iPoster macrumors regular

Nexuiz!

Completely free, but it's a Beta, so last time I played there were only like 4 people on the server. And the hardware requirements are fairly steep, it was unplayable even at low settings on my iMac G4 1ghz/GeForce4MX.

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I played it into my g5 (see signature) and it was barely playable at low settings (I had ATI 9600XT then). Perhaps it needs more optimizing, that's why it's still in beta./

10. Alexsaru thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Wow, that's a much better list of games than I'd expected to see. Once I figure out where I can buy some of these in Japan (in English and for both platforms! Hmm, might have to order them on the internet) I'm going to be really happy. :D I can't wait!
    Thanks everyone!