What games available for a G3 700Mhz iBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kaizer, Aug 13, 2003.

1. kaizer macrumors member

What games available for a G3 700Mhz iBook? I have "The Sims" and it bog down occasionally. I see from those Mac games site, most of the games requirement wants a G4. What about older games?

Thanks!

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I have the same iBook as you, and I don't know a whole lot about first-person-shooter type games, but I've been playing a lot of Baldur's Gate II lately and it runs super great. I have Age of Empires II and it runs very well. I bought Neverwinter Nights last week and while the frame rate isn't very good, it's perfectly playable.

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

What type of games are you into?

If you like 1st person shooters, Aliens Vs Predator (the first one) runs well on every Mac with a G3. Quake 2 should run well too and Unreal Tournament as well. I have played all three on my 266 MHz iMac and I am sure your iBook will have no trouble running those games as well.

Should you feel the need for speed, WipeOut 2097 will sort you out. It may not be the latest but it is the greatest futuristic racing game.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Warcraft III will bog like mad. Civilization III should be fine if you like games like that. Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds I think is fun, some folks don't like it, it's just like Age of Empires II but in the Star Wars milieu.

You know what's surprisingly addictive? Burning Monkey Solitaire.

5. el greenerino macrumors regular

I have the iBook 900, how would JKII run if I maxed out the RAM? And the Sims will run well w/ my 32 MB of VRAM right?

6. maraczc macrumors member

Jedi Knight II ran perfectly well on my old eMac 700 with 128 MB of Ram. So it should run great with yours. It's an old game though.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Re: What games available for a G3 700Mhz iBook?

I think it depends on how much VRAM you have. I have 2 800Mhz iBooks, and I run Medal of Honor (+Spearhead) on both with no problem -32megs VRAM. Tiger Woods Golf runs a little slow, but it's very playable. Nascar won't even install- needs a G4. Max Payne runs good, as well as Ghost Recon.
    But Escape Velocity Nova DOES rock :p

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

EV Nova is a waste of time until some good total conversion plugins come out. (I haven't found any yet)

Go with EV Override now that it's been ported to OSX. The default scenario rocks my socks and there's some GREAT TCs out there.

BTW, my iBook only has 16 MB VRAM and I can play Max Payne and Neverwinter Nights just fine.

9. DrBoar macrumors member

Sin 2 Gold and Oni both fun games and worked well on a G4/400

10. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

EV Override for OS X is a total conversion for EV Nova.

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

My bad. I was under the (mistaken) impression that EVO was actually ported to OSX. That's a bummer that TCs for EVO won't work for the OSX TC... Frozen Hearts was a good one (I never quite finished it).

12. Wren macrumors regular

Your iBook has more than the required specs to play Neverwinternights. Incidentally, I"m currently playing the game as well. I've played BG2 and IceWindale ( I'm an RPG ) fan, and i'm just about to finish Chapter One. Good luck with yours!:)

13. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Wren-

I only have 16 MB VRAM, below the "required" 32 MB. But it's fun regardless. :D

The only problem with the game is that you level up too quickly. I've got a seventh-level monk and I'm not even out of Neverwinter yet. He should be level four TOPS.

I'm working on BGII at the same time and I bought Icewind Dale for $5 ($13) the other day. I'm not going to play Icewind until I'm done with one of the other two though.

14. Wren macrumors regular

Yes indeed! You do level up quickly specially on the "Prelude" of the game. I think 3 levels. Im playing an Elven Wizard and I'm using "Tiger" as my henchman. I"m really into it right now. Have you played a monk before? I've wondered about that--:D

15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Playing a monk is great, it's actually my favorite sort of character in D&D 3rd edition.

You get a lot of feats for free, six attacks/round by level twenty, high HP, high movement rate, etc. etc. etc. I've never played a monk before, but he's great.

I remember Dungeons & Dragons (the original). You weren't supposed to level up more than once every session, and the average was supposed to be around once every three or four sessions. It's too bloody easy to level up in NWN.

Sure, it's nice to be able to kick major arse without even caring or trying, but it really takes away from the experience IMHO.

There's little to no reason to ever team up a magic user with a monk. Because monks don't use a lot of weapons or anything, you can sell almost everything he gets his hands on. That leaves lots of money to buy the only thing left worth buying--potions. A monk and a rogue are a really good combo (I have Tomi Undergallows as my henchman).

16. Wren macrumors regular

Well said Dave!! Next time, I'll play a Monk. I suspect playing Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights simutaneously will keep you busy for a while. :D It was BG2 that got me hooked playing RPG computer games. I've got Warcraft3 and Civilization3 but I'm not as RIVETED. Thanks again for your Monk insights!