What games can you play smoothly on a PB 12" or 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ryvius, May 18, 2004.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

One of the last real nagging points about getting an PBook is knowing what games it can run and can't run. It's a trivial issue to most, but I'm a gamer through and through and the thought of being crippled when it's playtime horrifies me in ways incomprehensible to the human pschye.

The 12" Pbook has that crappy Nvidia card. The 15" can have the ATI 9700 card which is pretty damn good at least in the PC world.

What games have you guys tried on your machines? Which have worked the best, and which have run the poorest?

Much appreciated.

Forever in your debt.

Comrades in arms.

-- Ryvius

2. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I leave most of my gaming to my Gamecube and Gameboy, but I still love to play EV: Nova on my 12" PB. It's not even close to cutting-edge on the graphics front, but it runs very smoothly.

Remember to also consider the amount of RAM you have, as well as your graphics card. A game will still run slowly if you don't have a good chunk of memory installed.

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Its all about the visual sacrifices you're willing to make. Turning off anti-aliasing always helps out, as does lowering the amount of texture detail. I have a revision C TiBook, (with 256 MB RAM, I could use a lot more) which plays Neverwinter Nights acceptably with medium settings, Diablo II plays much better since 10.3.3. I don't really play a lot of other graphically intensive games, but considering my equipment is nearlytwo years old, I would be willing to bet that the latest revisions will handle most games quite well.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you want run in their full glory, you shouldn't get a laptop.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a rev. a 12" pb, diablo II and Quake 3 both run great on my machine, i could use some more ram for them both tho, dont expect to have the best performance with a laptop though

6. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

It people that make comments like yours give the 12" a bad name. Jedi Academy and Return to Castle Wolfenstein run fine on my 1.33Ghz with 256mb of ram. I upgrade my ram to 768mb for virtual pc purposes, but it didn't make a difference in gaming. I prefer to have a nvidia video card over a crappy ati anyday dude! :cool:

7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

what video card does Nvidia make that is better than any of ATi's offerings? I don't know of any, and if you think the GeForce 5200 is better than an ATi 9700, you need to do some research.

8. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

My 12" Rev B handles games pretty well...I play Unreal Tournament 2003/2004,Jedi Academy,Medal Of Honor,Command&Conquer Generals without any problems. I still hate nVidia so I dont see a point in upgrading to the Rev C 12". If you want a nice gaming machine get the 15" 1.5GHz w/ 128MB VRAM or a G5 desktop.

9. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

I will always will be loyal to Nvidia. Never the dark path of the ati.

10. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

me too nvidia is the older company and apple is older then wintel. the older the better software just like apple

11. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

I am going to buy a 12in 1.33 pb, and cant decide between 512 and 768 mb ram. Is it really worth around £200 to upgrade? :confused:

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Buy the PowerBook with just the base 256MB RAM (soldered on, with the open slot free) and then buy a 512MB module for around £80 from crucial.com/uk. You'll save far more money than buying RAM from Apple's rip-off prices.

That's what I did, and then you end up with 768MB RAM (1GB modules are becoming more affordable but are still rather expensive).

13. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

Nice one that saves me over £100!!!!

is it easy to install?

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's easy. You'll kick yourself if you watch a technician charge you £40 to install it themselves.

You just need a small screwdriver, flip your powerbook upside down, unscrew the RAM expansion panel and then plug it in. Screw back up and you're done. Then boot up, check "About this Mac" from the Apple menu and it should say 768MB RAM. If you have any kernal panics or crashes, then you know it'll be bad RAM but crucial has quality stuff - I believe Apple uses Crucial RAM.

Full instructions for RAM installation are given in the PowerBook documentation. It is designed for you to put in yourself so don't worry about damaging your machine.

15. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

HALO...

Whatever you do, don't buy HALO. It is not very well optimised. i have the 15 inch with the 128 Mb graphics and it's quite jerky. It is the only micro$oft product I have purchased in years and I am not very pleased..

aussie_geek

16. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Just play Halo on Xbox...runs great on mine! :)

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I've been able to play Warcraft III (only a couple crashes), Alice, and Tropico smootly on a 1Ghz Titanium 512. It's not the best, but it works since I'm not too much of an avid gamer.

18. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i play Halo on my 12" just fine. i have to have all the fancy visuals turned off, but when i'm in the middle of a Blood Gultch battle with warthogs flipping through the air over my head it doesn't bother me one bit. a couple of my friends have the 1.25 15"ers and Halo runs really well (for Halo that is) Halo will never give you awesome framerates even in the PC world.

19. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

Is their any problems with buying cheap ram? i mean is this ram going to be of an inferior quality?