What games for an older iBook???

Discussion in 'Games' started by OlyWaFox, Oct 10, 2005.

1. OlyWaFox macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2005
    Hey Y'all-

I am very new to gaming and tech, so please bear with me. I am running an iBook G3 PowerPC 900MHZ with OS X 10.3.9. The graphic card reads (I checked in System Profiler) "ATI Rage M7"... which I have read is the same as the Radeon 7500 (not sure). In any case, I know there is 32MB of VRAM.

I am wondering what higher quality games might be compatible with this older system??? I am very interested in finding a higher quality non-linear RPG... oh, and I don't really enjoy modern military-themed games.

Any suggestions/favorites????

Here are some titles I am looking at now (across multiple genres):

* Summoner
    * Rune
    * Knights of the Old Republic (I'm thinking this is too much for my system to handle?)
    * Warcraft III BattleChest (I have played this game before. I enjoy the interface/graphics and setting, but I would like a little more character development and detail)
    * Ages of Empire II Gold
    * Rise of Nations Gold
    * 8th Wonder of the World (all three of these strategy titles- AoE2, RoN, 8thWotW- seem very similar, so I would really appreciate any comments here.)
    * Neverwinter Nights (this is obviously a popular game... but I am not sure I could get into the setting or characters... seems a little too hack-and-slash, monsters and monster-killers. Let me know what you think!)
    * Baldur's Gate (not sure about this title either... I can't find BG2 for sale, only the expansion. Tell me why you like this one, or dislike!)

2. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    It will easily run AoE II(my favorite game). RoN might be sluggish. Don't even think about KoTOR. 8th wonder is crap, replace it with Age of Mythology.

If your into rts you might also want to check out Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. http://www.apple.com/games/articles/2002/05/galactic/
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Freeverse is having a sale this whole week. 25% off of everything in their catalog with their coupon. Check their website for details and the coupon. The only game that would run sluggish that I can think from their website is that futuristic turn-based war game.

Ambrosia (AmbrosiaSW.com) has a ton of quality shareware games that your iBook can handle. Darwinia would be the only one that might be too much for your machine. Personally, I think Escape Velocity: Nova is the best because there are add-on files that let's you play the original two in the Nova engine (when you register!).

OT: Funny storry with EVN... I have always played EV without a registration code from the original to Nova because I'm just a kid without a credit card or money. On my iMac G4, I remember playing Nova for like a week then quitting due to time contraints a long time ago. Just this weekend, I opened up EVN to find I played the game only 7 times and had it on my HD for more than 1,100 days! :eek: Now that I have a job and a debit card, I think it's time I register :)

For commercial games, I'd generally say games from mid to late 2003 and before should run on your machine. That is generally speaking. To be safe, games requiring at least a 800 MHz G3 or G4 and something better than a GeForce2MX are probably out of reach. The 7500 Mobility is about comparable to a GF2MX.
  4. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Diablo II.

It should handle it nicely. I still play that game + the expansion... it is too addictive.
  5. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Myst!! You can pick up the 10th Anniversary Edition that has the first three games of the series in it for $15 on Amazon. Great games and low system requirements.

Another game I would recommend is Starcraft, I still enjoy that game.
  6. reberto macrumors 65816

Jul 20, 2005
    Just make sure you don't have a 4200 rpm drive, it will play like $#!T !
  7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    marble blast gold

starcraft (i'm playing the original and expansion campain all over again in order!)

Unreal Tournament original (however, it is not complete though. the right-clicking of rocket launchers and loading of multiple rockets part is very buggy

hm. Neverwinter nights, i'm playing it for the 4th time after beating it with fighter, paladin, and barbarian. now I am level 10 Sorceror in the level right between collecting the 4 waterdavian creaturs and chapter 2 (trying to track down the helmite traiter)

get visual boy advance and play gameboy games. the only games i play are the megaman zero series, from 1-4th. the 4th has a really sad ending :(
  8. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    not sure you care for FPS's but Wolfentstein runs pretty good on my ibook.
  9. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
  10. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2004
    Black Shades and Reckless Driving. Both rock hard and are the least graphics intense games I know of.
  11. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    Forget about Warcraft III. My girlfriend has the same ibook as you and that game barely runs. Try Doom 3 instead.
  12. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I second Escape Velocity: Nova. You will probably be able to play the original EV as well.

Try Dawn of Aces. A WWI dog fighter simulator. Pretty fun and runs well on my iMac (see sig) but not at all on my PB.

Try Titanic.
  13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    I played Warcraft 3 (rather slowly) on my Powerbook G4 400 with an 8MB ATI Rage, so I think you'll be OK with everything lowered. If you want a great gaming background, play through Bungie's Marathon and Myth series. They are definitely old, but they are at pinnacle of two genres in my opinion. Starcraft is amazing as well, a definite must-have. EV: Nova was good, but I liked the first two Escape Velocity games better. Diablo 2 is very good, but not too deep.
  14. ethicalhacker87 macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2005
    A little clarification please.

Hey everyone.

I was a little confused about the new Age of empires game. I am a die hard AOE fan and I just visited the AOEIII website and saw the ridiculous minnimum requirements for the game. I am planning on getting the new G4 14 inch ibook. Would any you of know how well this game would work on that particular model.

15. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Aug 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I believe AOEIII is pc-only.