What games push a G5 to the limits?

Discussion in 'Games' started by The Truth, Jun 21, 2005.

1. The Truth macrumors regular

Which Mac games have the highest specs? I am looking for games with great graphics that can be used to push a G5 PowerMac to the extreme.

2. GFX macrumors newbie

I belive Doom 3 takes a lot to run smoothly with all the options on.

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Most modern games care more about the GPU rather than the CPU albeit a G5 is a pretty good starting point for Mac games. :)

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Haha... no I think all tough games since 2003 (ut2003 etc etc)

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a heap of games on my Power Mac G5 and the only game that pushes it in any way would be World of Warcraft. Everything else I have runs smooth as melted butter at 1680x1050, but I do have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT (256 MB).

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

NONE!

In order for a game to push the G5 to the limits, it must be designed from the ground up to run on the mac platform. The only reason games like doom 3 and others don't run perfectly even on a G5, are the ones poretd from PC.

In order to say that you have a game that takes advantage of the G5 in almost any way:

1)It must be designed to be 64-bit
    2)It must implement functions for CoreAudio and CoreVideo
    3)Must support 2 processors
    4)Must be optimized for OS X (but no such a port exists- the existing ports are made so that they could sipmple "run")
    5)Must all run fast. Lets face it, the G5 has many capabilities, but most of them are not taken advantage of.

So, my criteria is that when you are asked "what game uses all of G5's capabilities" you must see what games run FAST on this machine and not the slow ones.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

But making such games will be very expensive and long, so nobody will make them :(

9. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Especially once an Intel Mac can boot Windows as well. There won't be a Mac games industry once that happens.

10. slamhamster macrumors newbie

And then you can push your Intel Mac to the limit with the benefit of the limited amount of hardware that will actually have driver support for both operating systems.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The chance to have a game that takes advantage of the G5 now is almost zero unless you build and compile it yourself.

Was their any app that took advantage of the G5? I can't even find a program that takes advantage of 8 GBs. Every program I use only can see 2 GBs memory. This includes ram disk utilities.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yea this sucks... :(

13. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I guess the cynical answer would be...

Which game doesn't test the G5 to the limit?

Jus' kiddin!

andy.

14. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Im going to have to disagree, alot of people will still want there games to run natively and not have to worry about booting windows and installing it on the hd. You also still need to fork at money for a licensee of xp also.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well we still don't know if a mac will boot intel. All Schiller said is that Apple wouldn't prevent it (i.e. making a IF Windows=true THEN FAIL chip). Windows would still probably require severe tweaking esp. if Intelamacs lack BIOSes.

VPC will be a demon though... a speed demon :D

17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

ummmm starcraft & diablo 2 seem to give G5's a tough time.

18. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Doom 3 (obviously) chokes my 1.6GHz G5 w/ 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro on higher settings. Battlefield 1942 can get sluggish when there are a lot of AI troops. So can UT2004. Homeworld2 plays quite nicely, even on higher graphics settings.

I've all but given up gaming on my Mac. The stream of new releases seems to have dried up a bit in 2005. I'm getting my gaming fix with Forza Motorsport on my Xbox at the moment :) In retrospect, I should have saved the money I spent upgrading my Radeon 9600 to the Radeon 9800 and set it aside for my next Mac system upgrade in 2 years' time. There just haven't been enough good game releases to justify it (IMHO).

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Doom III runs fine on my 2.3GHz DP PowerMac G5 w/ ATI Radeon 9600XT (Apple gave me a bump up from the regular 9600 to the XT version). I have the settings on the high setting btw. The G5s are wicked fast CPUs, if a game is properly optimized for the G5 and ported correctly for Mac OS X it will fly.

20. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Playing starcraft again yourself 3 vs 3. :) All on the same mac :p (did not try on a powermac but on an imac g5 with 1/2Gig of ram more than 2 copy of starcraft is barely runable...)

21. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Which Doom 3 is not - it's a crappy port. But good that it plays well on your system, you're one of the lucky ones!

andy.

22. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Doom III is a crappy port for Mac OSX. Really though it's all software coding constraints. Most of the piss poor performance is due to how Open GL is implemented on OSX and less than perfect drivers for the GPUs. Alot of people think that just because Mac OSX will run on Intel it means that everything will be faster. The primary reason for poor game performance is Mac OSX and both Apple and Developers not doing enough to get good performance. PowerPC or X86 it will still be OSX running the show so really it lies on the Game Developers and Apple Software Engineers to offer better support.

Anyhow even though Doom III is a less than perfect Port for OSX I can still get superb performance. Running a Dual 2.5GHz G5 with 6800GT overclocked to 6800 Ultra spec I can manage to get almost 50FPS in the timedemo at 1680x1050 resolution, Ultra Quality settings, Everything on and Maxed out except for FSAA which really is'nt necessary when running at higher native resolutions.

23. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Tetris.

:D

24. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Almost, but not quite. Bolding is mine:

"That doesn't preclude someone from running [Windows] on a Mac. They probably will. We won't do anything to preclude that."

To me, that's pretty solid confirmation. If it was going to be a massive geek endeavour to get it to run, Schiller would probably have said something along the lines of 'it's not impossible' or 'it's technically possible to do so'. To say 'they probably will' to me says that - privately - Apple know and want people to know that having a OS X and Windows compatible computer will kill for good any fears about switching.