What games support dual processors?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Jul 21, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Just wondering if any of these games support dual processors...

Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne/ Reign of Chaos

Diablo 2/LOD

Unreal 2004/2003

Starcraft

Quake 3

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

World of Warcraft

Please list any others that might support dual that you know do support dual processors. One more thing do you think I will get good fps when running unreal 2004 on my video card (ATI 9600 128 mb)? I would like high detail level up.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne/ Reign of Chaos - Possibly. But I have read nothing about dual processor support. It's not like it needs it.

Diablo 2/LOD - A very non-demanding game, so I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the game was available before the existence of dual processor PowerMacs.

Unreal 2004/2003 - Yes, but it only offloads sound data which will take only like 2% of the CPU.

Starcraft - Too old. Probably not. Why would you need multiple processors for such an old game anyway?

Quake 3 - Enabled through a console command. Quake 3 uses the second processor much more effectively than UT2K4/K3.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Based on the Quake 3 engine, so if it's not already enabled, it can be with a console command.

World of Warcraft - Ask a beta user or look at your old thread.

Please try to not make multiple threads asking the same question. You made a thread for just WoW and multiple processors and this thread asking the same question for other games plus WoW.

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Here are a few I know of

Giants: Citizen Kabuto supports dual processors. This was the first OS X game to do so.

Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 also support dual CPUs but in a very basic way. In both games the graphics, physics, etc run on one processor and the sound engine on another.

I think Quake 3 and all the games that use its graphics engine support dual processors but this feature has to be turned on using the console. Unfortunately I do not know the specific command to type but you can search the Mac games sites to find out. By the way, you access the console by pressing ` on your keyboard while the game is running.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Sound data takes a lot more than 2% of the CPU. For example, when sound on UT2K4 is turned off, frame rates jump on a 1.6GHz powermac (w/FX5200) from avg. 20-25 all the way up to the mid to upper 40s. Having another processor to handle the sound makes a big difference.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope Doom 3 supports it. Also I wish Spiderman 2 the game would come out for the Mac and take advantage of 2 processors. I saw the trailer and it has the same unrestricted movement of the city as GTA.

6. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

There are two ways your going to see a game fully MP aware

1. The original PC devlopers wrote the game to take advantage of the second processor.

2. The game is devloped specifically for the Mac.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

I am very sure there is a problem with the sound engine in that game. The sound engine was very buggy to start with (remember the demo? You needed a dual processor or disable the sound because it was taking up so much processing power), and I don't think it has been completely fixed even now.

Sound does not use up that much CPU processing powers on the Mac because we don't get any fancy surround sound codes, or any other special effects.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Which is one of the reasons I'm buying a gamecube. mmmmm you can get one for $80 you know.

9. bertinman macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure it only has to do with threads. if there are different threads in the game, different processors can take care of different threads.

most of the new engines coming out have multiple threads, so any new games (meaning new technology) would support your two processors.

some new engines might also start to support multiple graphics cards (the 6800 pci-express version can be linked together to share load).

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I hate to be a nitpick, but Dual power macs have been around at least since the G4 was at 450 if not earlier. I bought diablo 2 new at that time. It is unlikely to be dual processsor aware, but they were definitely around at the time :)

11. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

What is the console command to enable the second processor?

12. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Try this r_smp "1" I found it here

It said it works with any quake 3 engine game.

13. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I still cant findout if Warcraft 3 supports dual processors. Does anyone know for sure???

14. applekid macrumors 68020

From: http://www.planetquake3.net/tweak/glossary_commands.html

Ignore that Windows stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's the command. Make sure to type a space and then 1 to enable it, as it says.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Does it really matter?

Just play it, who cares. Your machine is way over requirements anyway.

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

it won't run any faster if it does. If you aren't pushing super-fast frame rates at 1600x1200xfull detail, then something is wrong with your machine.

that's one game that actually works equally well on mac and PC, and blizzard has always been frugal with their requirements...probably one of my favorite gaming companies...i just wish they were doing another PC game instead of that stupid MMORPG and the console game.

They will probably make a lot of money off of Ghost, and WoW will be popular, but I HATE paying 10 dollars a month for a game that i paid 50 dollars for that requires me to spend 50 dollars a month on internet service just to access it...The first month of WoW, or any MMORPG, could potentially cost you 100 dollars, and the total for playing 1 year would be well over 500 bucks. No. Thanks.

as to Ghost, I'm just honestly not very interested in a Blizzard action game...they need to stick to the stuff that works. People REALLY want to play a StarCraft sequel that isn't this Ghost thing. They want StarCraft 2.

They probably want it to look more like SC1 and less like WC3...which was fun, but not AS fun as SC...

look, starcraft is like...probably up there with Mario 3 and Half Life...

Wow. this thread it about dual processor games...my bad.