what games will run well?

Discussion in 'Games' started by realityisterror, Aug 5, 2004.

1. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i know i could find this info in other threads, but i really want first hand experience from you guys...
    i have a 15" iMac 800MHz G4, 512MB RAM, and 32MB nVidia GeForce 2 MX... not much of a gaming machine...

but i'm interested in trying some stuff... of these games, which do you think will run the best at lowest quality and what machine are you running it on(i know i'm pretty much stuck at 640x480):
    MoH
    CoD
    UT2004
    BF1942

if you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated...
    thanks,
    reality

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I don't think you're stuck at lowest quality... You could probably run all of those games fairly well at 800x600 at medium settings. CoD and UT2K4 would probably do the best since they are both optimized for NVidia cards.

3. friarbayliff macrumors regular

ut2k4 and CoD should work reasonably well. Don't expect them to be gorgeous, but they will work. And yes, the optimization for nVidia cards should help you as well.

4. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

My wife had that exact machine, and Ghost Recon did OK at 1024x768. Mipmapping had to be turned off, and some settings had to be lowered to med or low, but it was pretty good. UT2003 was also decent.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Same iMac here, except I have a GeForce4MX and 17-inch screen and an extra 256 MB of RAM.

CoD is playable, but don't expect to stay above 30 FPS all that often. It isn't a choppy mess, but it does slow down a bit.

MoH:AA runs fine. Mess around with the settings and you can get 1024 x 768 while keep a steady frame rate.

UT2K4 sorta works. Try the demo. But, Onslaught will be at about 10 FPS. A normal DeathMatch can get me close to 30 FPS.

Don't even try BF1942. It's not fun with the settings you'll have to play it. The default settings will drop to the lowest possible settings, and your bot matches will require the minimal numbers. Don't ask about online play.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Are you kidding me? I hit mid 30's on botmatches with a SP 1.8 G5 and a Rad9800 Pro SE 256... methinks that your FPS "interpretation" may not quite be on.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

UT2004 - Meh, with the graphics all the way down.

Call of Duty - Will run very well with graphics at 50% (It does on my computer!, even in intense action, except the first mission of the russian campaign, during which I got about a frame every 1-2 seconds. ;) )

Medal of Honor - Will run fine whatever you do, its an old game.

BF1942 - Should run OK, might be locked into lower graphics settings.

8. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

um...quake 3 is pretty cool and it would run good on your machine, other games,wont as much

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, whatever map I was playing in the demo, I was getting above 18 FPS and reaching maybe 28 FPS at times.

10. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Hmm, wow, I guess that iMacs game better than I thought... maybe my FPS is slow cuz I use FSAA and AF... but even then, eh.

It's definitely MUCH smoother than my 5200 I must admit.

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

what the...

i CAN NOT run on cod at all on my ibook and its bit more beefer than his imac. i have a 1.07 ghz g4 with a 32 meg radeon 9200 and 768 ram... i can barely get cod running... :confused:

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Can you describe the problem a little more clearly?

13. Atheist_Peace macrumors newbie

I have to ask the same question. How about the new imacs? Do you think they will be able to run games like Sims 2 or Doom 3 decently? Suppose that my imac will have these specs:

1.5 GHz PowerPC G5
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (or better card.. they putted this on the old imacs, I hope they will use an even better one)
    64MB DDR video memory
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM

What do you think?

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I ran CoD on 800 MHz machine when I first got it, no settings touched, and it worked great up to the Russian Campaign. Once I got there things got a little bit slopy. MOH AA should run like a charm. It's an old game and can be run even on a G3. I don't know much about BF1942 or UT2004 though

Well we are on the topic of how well games will run, how well do you think Ghost Recon, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, and C & C Generals will run on my 933 MHz iBook G4? How badly would I need to lower their settings?

15. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Are you nuts? The game is so COU hungry a 800MHz wouldn't cut it. The box is just too optimistic. See previous post on matter.

16. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Ghost Recon is one of the best games I've ever played. In fact last night I started the game all over again on elite with no threat indicator- Im going to try and beat it and the 2 expansions that way. I've had this game for ages, and it's still my favorite! (BTW, Usage of brain required. Not a fragfest.)
    In any case, it's good running game. On my 1Ghz powerbook ot plays very good at 1024x768 with most settings on high - even Mipmap Textures on (modified to .09 in the .xml file). Shadows should be off, and colors at thousands.
    The only problem with Ghost Recon on a 12" laptop is that 1024X768 is very small and an external monitor should be used.

I tried C&C and it did ok, but I didn't like the game so I gave up on it.

17. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I have a friend running an OC'd P4 @ 1.5 with a GeForce 3, and apparently he gets about 40-50 FPS walking around, and it dips down to 20ish when he gets in a firefight. 1024x768 medium detail. Keep in mind however this is because he unpackaged all the .PAK files, which is known to highly increase performance.

18. Atheist_Peace macrumors newbie

OK, now I know what the .pak files are. Unpackaging them really increases the performance? Thanks

19. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I know Q3 and other Q3-engine based games use .pak files....

Could you explain this entire process a bit more?

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I downloaded the C & C Generals Demo. I love it and runs great with the settings on 800 x 600 and Low Detail. And I am still impressed by the graphics! I'm definetly geting it. And with all the good things I have heard about with Ghost Recon I'll probaly get that too.