Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Valeyard

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
I ordered a screen off eBay without the LCD backing plate as there's nothing wrong with that (I cracked the screen). However, I need a glue to stick my replacement glass screen onto my working LCD plate (the reflective thing).

What do I need to use?

The Valeyard

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
copy pasta from ifixit

Hi, I repair iphones, ipods, and many other devices for a living. I literally have a box stacked full of the broken lcd/digi's that we have repaired. We have tried many solutions and suggestions to separate them. Heat gun, oven, ect. It CAN be done, but the chances of you succeeding are very slim. The biggest problem is that your applying alot of heat to the LCD, and if you are to succeed in separating them the life span/integrity of the LCD is greatly shortened during the process.

Not to discourage you but thought id give my input. The LCD and Digitizer are fused together during the manufacturing process, the best method i have found is a heat gun and a low setting. It takes a lot of patience as they will not quickly separate. I start in a corner of the LCD with the thinnest blade you can find. Good luck, hope this helps.

-Nick C,
Uh, well, you obviously didnt read my post. I have already separated them. What glue do I need to stick the glass replacement onto the original LCD?

Monster.60

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
You use LOCA..liquid optically clear adhesive. Use a fine filament wire to separate glass from LCD after applying heat. A Honton 20-20 is the most commonly used tool in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.