What Good,Cheap,Photo manipulating software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stubeeef, May 24, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I need it to have templates for things like gift tags with a childs photo, or other neat little tricks.

Am not sure if Photoshop Elements does this or not. Anyone know? Or have other software you can reccomend?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Are there templates for making things like luggage tags, and such?

4. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

5. Bozola macrumors regular

6. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

They don't have templates but when you're talking effective and cheap, I think it's good to start with GraphicConverter and/or PhotoEdit. They do a lot more than iPhoto and are very easy to use.

7. cneo macrumors newbie

GIMP

it's almost like a stripped down open sourced version of photoshop. I haven't used it lately, but I tried it long ago. Can't argue with free.

http://www.gimp.org

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

GIMP is good but requires a certain amount of expertise to be able to install you need some X11 and unix knowledge its not as simple as standard OS X applications in terms of installation. I myself have never installed it successfully if someone knows how to do it i would be grateful for them to share the knowledge,

PEACe

Shadow

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Photoshop Elements has a tryout version. Some of the things you've been talking about you might need to make yourself.

10. JonMaker macrumors regular

http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

Precompiled binaries for OS X. You're welcome.

11. witness macrumors 6502

I have GIMP installed, it works pretty well if you don't mind that it doesn't look or behave like a mac app. Just install X11 from your OS X DVD and download and install the OS X GIMP binary. Easy. :cool:

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For what you're talking about, I would suggest iPhoto + Pages. iPhoto for simple photo edits, Pages for adding text, labels, etc. Photoshop Elements would also work, but would be a more difficult program to master.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

GIMP and Photoshop (elements or not) *do not* have templates or features specifically designed for the kind of thing Stu' is describing. Print Shop does, but those two definitely don't. I used GIMP happily for some time, and I use PSE now, and love it, but neither of them are appropriate for this....

14. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'll second that recomendation. Then you can save the templates and change the images and text whenever you need to. And since your iPhoto library is accessible from Pages it makes it pretty easy to find what you want.

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Long day for me today, just catching up.

Thankyou very much for the recommendations, I will be checking out Pages and Print Shop this weekend if I get time.

Thanks again.

PS; The GIMP thing sounds cool, but I aint no terminal guy or otherwise, I like it Apple simple, but thanks for the suggestion-some here will dig it.

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ok there is The Print Shop by Broderbund

the print shop by mackiev

which one is the one to get?

Thanks

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I think mackiev did the translation to OS X on behalf of broderbund...if you look at the two webpages you linked, the retail box that's shown on the left is the same! :)

18. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Would you be able to explain how to install X from the Tiger DVD? I installed Xcode off of it, and it looked like it installed the Xfree86 libraries but no X server.

EDIT: Never mind: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html

19. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Its really not that complicated to install the gimp anymore :cool: . Just install X11 from the OS X disc (i'm not sure Panther has it, but Tiger does) or from apple's downloads site: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html. Its just a regular Mac installation procedure, no terminal needed. Then download the gimp from apple's downloads site:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/gimpapp.html and copy gimp.app to your applications folder as usual. Double click and that's it!
    I'm not sure it has the features you need but it has a lot of features you might have use for and its 100% free. ;)

20. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

bought it from Mackiev today.

Thanks gang for the help. I luv it here!

ps got a switcher today, my brother in law!

21. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Pages vs Print Shop

I just read the Mackiev announced version 2.0 of Print Shop, just as I was trying to decide between Pages and Print Shop for some basic design stuff. All I need is to make some simple invitations, announcements, and other wedding stuff. Do any of you have an idea which would work better? So far, I've read mostly good things about Print Shop, but I like as many personal anecdotes as possible.

Thanks in advance.