What good deed did you do this week?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What admirable thing did you do in the real world this week, other than doing your regular job, schoolwork, housework, chores, and other tasks you are expected to do?

Did you help a little old lady across the street? Did you serve food at a soup kitchen? Did you walk in a 10K charity fundraiser? Did you volunteer at the local library?

Don't be modest. Tell us why you deserve a pat on the back this week!

2. oreo macrumors member

I stayed sober, while all my friends were drinking, so I could drive everyone home. That was nearly a week ago now, the rest of the week has been crap! Been ill in bed all week, been given the worst placement, & didn't get paid this week as they lost my timesheet for last week.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Although perhaps not as altruistic as volunteering at a soup kitchen, I did do something honest. I had purchased, or at least thought I had purchased, a couple of things at Home Depot. Turns out they were under some lumber I bought and didn't get rung up. I guess I could've saved myself $50 by being dishonest, but I went back to the store and paid for them.

4. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i lied to a friend and told them that i wouldn't be able to drive them to a doctors appointment, thereby making them take the bus, and saving some gas, lessening pollution, and effectively saving the world.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Last night I fixed margaritas for everybody at the party upon request, I think I made many people happy. :rolleyes:

Oh... and I met a friend of mine who is a Playmate and made her sing happy birthday to my friend... but I recorded with the video camera and played the tape at his house. I mean, forget about bringing her to my friends! You can look for Ale-G in the internet, she is a Venezuelan playmate and I just met her a few weeks ago here in Miami, she is shuch nice girl herself.

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Tomorrow I'm volunteering for 3 hours at a cranberry bog down the road, as this is the time of they year when they are picked. I spend all day helping people park their cars (as this is somewhat of a festival where I live), showing people around, how the machinery works, and the history of cranberry bogs.

And I get free cranberries!! :D

I don't think I would consider this a good deed, but I helped my friend put in a new video card in his PC.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Oh please, is your name Erik Cartman?

8. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

didnt kill anyone.

okay seriously. i donated (which i do every week) 15% of my income (not much)to my church, and spent about 9 hours there just yesterday.

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I volunteered for a couple hours after school at a comunity city-garden. I picked weeds from the lettuce patch and harvested the last of the cherry tomatoes for the season. The cherry tomatoes were delicious!

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I returned my elderly neighbors garbage can to her back porch and put the lid back on top. Later after the recycle truck passed, I returned her recycle bin to her back porch.

I donated 10% to my church on Sunday which II do every week. I'm in training with my church's Radio Ministry.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I took part in a Johns Hopkins study, for which they paid me the sum of $175. I gave the cash to my wife to donate to her church (I'm not a believer, or at least that's what my Darwin fish tells me in the wee hours...).

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I work at a IT helpdesk at a hospital helping cranky old doctors with windows via the phone. I haven't killed anyone this week at all. GO ME!

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

WINNER!!! :eek:

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I work at an Apple repair place and this week I helped several people out with their computer. They would walk in with broken machines, I put them on the bench and spend a couple hours on them fixing the computers and sent them on their way. No charge, word of mouth can do a lot of good for a small business.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I did some free design work for the local volunteer bureau.

Certificates and invitations to an event.
    I specced the job & sent the files to press, they just paid the printing costs.

It's a yearly thing, always in October...

16. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I went out during my planning period and bought a new pair of shoes from the local goodwill for a student who was wearing shoes held together by duct tape.

He loved them.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm making the website for the green (environmental) club, the French club, and the computer club at my high school. I don't receive anything for this work (well, nothing material :)).

And I just finished a 1 and three-quarters of an hour phone call with the Art Institute of California (at San Francisco). Time + Effort into not only going to college, but finding the best college possible -> well educated worker -> benifit the economy -> help everyone. That's kind of abstract, I must admit ;), but let me tell you, it's been a ton of work finding the right college. :eek:

scem0

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I took time off from my busy schedule, both professionally and socially, to take care of my mother who is recovering from brain-surgery (brain cancer). I lost a fair bit of money (which is earmarked for an iMac) and the chance to go on a kick-ass camping trip and probably get some action from this cutey I have a thing for. Instead I read to my mother and brushed her hair and basically sat and talked to her in IC, despite the fact I HATE hospitals.

I shall be further denting my life with assistance with my mother at home (which she went today), so that my father can relax a little, which involves a lot of driving and expense as well as lack of income.

I do not think this really qualifies as a good dead, however, since I think anyone in a similar situation would do the same, unless they were serious *******s.

FWIW

20. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I bought flowers for my wife. Before I knew it was sweetest day tomorrow.

21. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I helped a coworker not get fired. I'm not sure if I will be able to do the same next week.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I helped a female friend of mine with some math she was having trouble with.

I volunteered to do the clock at my school's high school tackle football game. We won, and it was homecoming too. It was a good game... interesting since the power went out and I had to keep time on my watch. :)

I smiled at someone, and they smiled back. It may be small, but you never really know what is happening in their head.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sadly I did absolutely nothing that would be a good deed, but neither did I do any bad deeds, so it all evens out.

Although I did order a new iMac for my mother in law and talk her through the ordering process online with Apple....I think the good deed there will be setting it up and getting it running when she gets it delivered.

So why the interest in good deeds Q? Next week is it going to be naughty deeds? :p

D

24. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I've been pretty good this week....I sent an ADB mouse as requested by another board member who needed one for a Mac he was fixing up for a charitable case.....and today my neighbour called and wanted help with getting her 2 exchange students connected with a hub and cable modem (just a minor challenge...both windoze laptops, one of them using German language - luckily I know just a little bit....).....oh yeah!

25. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just an idea I had brewing. Kind of a flipside to the Ever committed a crime? thread that I remember from last year.

I knew there were school volunteers, church helpers, blood donors, caregivers, people who give a lot to charity, and other members here who routinely act in a way we can look up to, and I wanted to hear more about what they do. And why not let them boast about it for a minute? Whatever people do to help others when they don't have to, I think they deserve a little cheer from the rest of us.

:) HIP! :) HIP! :) HOORAY! :)

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll let you do that one. After all, you were the one shooting up the neighborhood the other week. :D