what graphics card for sawtooth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bobdude161, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm wanting to upgrade my graphics card in my sawtooth. I just don't know which one to get. I was looking at the radeon 9800 with 128 mb, but that was too expensive. So I'm maybe lookin at a 64 MB card. Is there a specific one that you recommend? I am planning to do some DVD encoding and playing some 5 year old games.

Please no comments like buy a new mac. No I will not, thank you very much. I will stick with my Sawtooth till it dies.

2. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

I bought a Radeon 9000 Mac Edition years ago for my sawtooth and it works fine. Of course that computer is currently a web/file server and is not running the GUI currently (logged in as >console), but when I need to I use it to surf and stuff.

Here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-9000...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only $54, a far cry from what I paid for mine at Fry's.

Spec-wise it is a 64 meg. dual-monitor with an ADC and DVI connectors (analog monitor adapter included), 2x 4x AGP or ADC-slot compatible. Quartz Extreme compatible. FSAA compatible.

3. neil123 macrumors newbie

Help

I have the Radeon 900 for my G4 Sawtooth but it doesn't boot up. Just static on the screen. Anything I have to do before it will work? P-RAM didn't.

Neil

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

What are you looking to get out of your card performance-wise? Just run an extra monitor/relieve some of the pressure on the system RAM? I run a flashed GeForce FX5200 for that exact reason; it was cheap (about $35 on NewEgg) and has 256mb RAM. The gpu and pixel pipeline performance aren't stellar, the 5200 really wasn't that impressive a card, but it does run some 3d rendered video really well, and it is perfect for everything I need it for.

So the first questions: what do you absolutely need in your card, and what are you willing to spend/ideally like to spend?