What happened to adventure games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Temujin, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

When thinking back on my most fond memories in the world of computer games the adventure genre quickly comes to mind.

I used to play the following:

Day of the Tentacle
    Simon the Sorcerer I+II
    Legend of Kyrandia (entire series except I)
    Monkey Island (entire series except I)
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    The Dig
    Space Quest (don't remember which)

But today's store shelfs seems to be filled with everything but this genre.

Last thing I saw which resembled the adventure genre was the new Leisure Suit Larry.
    The many dialogs present in the "old" adventure games was here substituted with agility based drinking games and such.

So what's the verdict. Is the adventure game genre, as I once knew it, dead and gone, or will we see a comeback when consumers get fed up with the more action based games, if ever?

2. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

The old school Lucas Arts, Sierra, etc. adventure genre is pretty much dead. The last game to try to resurrect the genre was Tim Schafer's Psychonauts, and look at how that great game sold. Creativity is dying in the game industry just as it is in the Hollywood movie industry. All the expen$ive graphics and presentation nonsense of today is making it harder and harder for creative people to make creative games. Publishers are only willing to fund mindless shooters, sports games, and generic fantasy garbage. This has been clear for the past 10 years. Even a shooter like Duke Nukem wouldn't get published today, it would be too risky.

It's a damn shame. Those classic adventure games were so great. How many games today can actually make you laugh?

3. Lazyhound macrumors regular

There are a few independent publishers out there, but the genre is pretty much dead, yeah.

4. jrk07 macrumors regular

I definitely miss those classic Lucasarts adventure games. They really got to a new degree of greatness with Full Throttle (thats the last one I played, I have never played any of the monkey island games for some reason), and now they are pretty much gone. I have heard that The Adventure Company still makes "classic style" adventure games, but this is only what I've heard and don't have any first hand experience with their games. I really miss those classics, they were games that I could just waste hours playing.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I really miss the old adventure games too, and can find very little in the genre now that is any good. There have been a few great example of late, such as Syberia I & II, and I also recently played Grim Fandango. Unfortunately, the pickin's are gettin' mighty slim.

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I recently dug out all my old copies of Monkey Island & have been replaying them. They're still as good as ever. I agree that there is a lack of this type of game around at the moment.

The closest I have seen was Trace Memory (aka Another Code) on the Nintendo DS. It is pretty good, but too easy. I would think that the DS would be the perfect place to resurrect this genre, as the touch screen seems the perfect way to interact with the environment.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Couldn't have said it better myself :) Let's hope the Revolution can spark up some creativity in the video game world.

8. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

fallout 1 and 2 are available for mac. Fallout 2 runs in OS X. They are RPGs in that you gain experience and learn skills as you play, but there a lot of cool characters and there is a heavy focus on original storyline and interesting dialogue.

I hear fallout 3 is in early stages of development. The fallout series, along with the civilization series, are my favorite games.

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Amen.. I literally only play Blizzard games these days (though not WoW...) due to the lack of anything that's new being worthwhile... agh, it's awful. I think Elder Scrolls is an adventure/RPG series that's pretty good from what I hear, oblivion will be on the xbox 360 soon, if you've got one of those things. Oy.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea gaming really is going to the rocks. It's all about "WHAM!" and glamour and stuff. but people shout at me when I criticise the way gaming is going.

This is why I keep my Amiga. so many point n click Adventure games so little time.

11. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I'm all for great graphics and effects, but it's a shame that a good story and great dialog had to be sacrificed to achieve this.

An adventure game, incorperating superior grahics and effects, whilst still presenting a good story and keeping the old gameplay would be awsome.
    But it seems to me that when using 3D in adventure games the developers suddently focus on action.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Yup. I never played Psychonauts but its apparently one of those unknown hits, all I hear from my mates is that I should play it. But yea thats supposed to have good graphics and be adventurous.
    Now... Monkey Island 3 (the last 2D one) was brilliant. Apparently I can play that on my Pocket PC. if i can... I'll cry. never fully played it but I thought the graphics in that were simply perfect. had such a wonderful feel to them.

13. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I read the other day that ScummVM was ported to the DS. That is reason alone to get a Flash cart - I am currently playing DoTT on ScummVM on my Mac, and it would be great to be able to take that with me on the road on the DS.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Has pysconauts been released in the Uk yet? I bought it on imprt ages ago for my xbox and loved every minute of it.

I loved all the Money Island games (except the one on Ps2. Loading times killed it - so back to the pc for it).

I cant believe no one has mentioned Grim Fandango. That game was superb, probably the best of all the graphic adventures.

Sam & Max 2 has a new lease of life with new developers picking up the title - thank god :D

15. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

That's cool. Funny Funny game :D
    Thought it was cancelled

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I did, in #5 above. And I agree that it was a very good game, but I wouldn't say the best to me (personal observation only).

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

They still don't compare to the game they were originally based on though - Wasteland - one of my all-time favorite games - they don't make 'em like that anymore.... :cool:

18. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Wasteland is the best computer game ... EVER! :cool:

Fallout (1 & 2), Bard's Tale (original), and a few of the D&D series came close.

I grew up on text (Zork/HHGTTG) and Sierra games, but Wasteland got me hooked. :) I still have all my old floppy disks. :p

peace | neut

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent, glad to see I'm not alone! Yep, one of my all-time favorite games. I still have my original 5 1/4" floppies as well, along with the instructions and paragraph book. Ah, the hours myself and my brother spent on his Apple //e with that classic.... Can't say enough about it, Wasteland is indeed one of the greatest games ever made - proof that great graphics do not make a great game. Those who haven't played it would simply not understand. :cool:

20. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Could another factor be a change in the target audience?

If you think about, who owned a computer in the early 90s and who owns a computer today?

I understand that this sounds terrible rude, elitist, and nostalgic, but you have to admit, the people playing PC games today as a whole DO NOT resemble the people playing PC games back in the day. Just try to picture a stereotypical PC gamer of today next to a typical PC/Mac gamer of yesterday (if you can't, just watch a classic 80's movie and look for the iconic nerd/geek).

And the most important ingredient in all of this is that the people playing PC games back in the day game closely resembled the best developers of today, both young and old. Just try to picture Warren Spector, Will Wright, Sid Maier, and Tim Schafer trying to play Doom 3, Madden NFL, or Need for Speed?

The only contradiction I see is with console games. There is no denying that some great stuff existed for the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis, even though they were definitely targeted at the masses. Plus, shooters and racing games definitely also existed back then... hmm... Oh well, it's fun to glorify the "good old days."

By the way, how do you people play the classic PC adventure games on OS X? Don't you find the DOSBox port not so good on Mac?

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

I was a Sierra games junkie.

Being a strong bad junkie as well, I found Peasant's Quest to be something of a modern miracle. Ask my wife how I responded the first time that I saw the teaser trailer for it...

Favorite Sierra games:

King's Quest: 1, 4, 5, 6 (7 sorta sucked in a disney-inspired kind of way)
    My favorite story is probably KQ:V, but VI had the best gameplay of any non-text-entry Sierra adventure game. I really enjoyed the Cassima plotline. Excellent characters! (an evil Jin who's addicted to (and gets drunk off of) mint candies? can't top that). Excellent music on all of them (except for the first version of KQ1, which didn't have any music really...they added it later in the EGA remake, and it was great!) I can prove my nerdy-ness by telling you that I have an MP3 of "Girl in the Tower" on my iTunes. If you know what I mean, you are as bad as I am.

Conquests of Camelot/Longbow:
    These two games were incredible. They were very challenging for me in elementary school, and when i boot one of them back up, i find that they're still challenging. Music from Conquests of Camelot still shows up in my head sometimes. 15 years later, and probably 10 years since I really played them, and the music still gets stuck in my head!

Hero's Quest (later rebadged Quest for Glory): The first one was perfect, if simple. What an incredible idea, mixing adventure with RPG-like character development, and letting you take your character's stats from one game to the next! Special classes of characters that only a series veteran could play, with it's own distinct set of storylines! QFG:4 was probably the best-realized of the series. Vampires and bats and igors and ancient evil mountains all of that. QFG:5 was fun, but the environment just couldn't compete with that of 4.

Space Quest: Excellent, wacky, and wonderful. Other than the first one, I found the 4th one to have the best sense of "being" Intelligent characters, witty banter that goes over the heads of little kids while still appealing to them....How often does a game let you time travel back to an earlier installment in the series and walk around in it's CGA glory...while making fun of itself at the same time? Inventive, imaginative, and unpredictable.

Police Quest: The complete opposite of space quest, to be sure. They sorta evolved into the more modern "swat" games, which have so little in common with police quest that i don't even know where to start...I loved all 4 of the "standard" police quest games, with the 3rd one being my true favorite.

Laura Bow: Two excellent murder mystery games...one with everyone locked inside a house Clue-style, and the other with 1920s New York as your playground. Great music, great suspense, great sense of satisfaction when you figure out a mystery. And with a female for the main character, to boot.

Leisure Suit Larry: I have to be honest, I didn't play these games till college, even though they were being made while I was in elementary and middle schools. I guess my parents knew better or something. great games, just lacking the nostalgia that my other sierra favorites hold for me. I see the value in them, though.

one-off games like Freddy Pharkas and Willie Beamish. great memories.

Weird japanese imports like Zeliard. I know that game had flaws, but I'm sorry, it had excellent level design and some of the best music ever created for a video game.

Well, I've rambled on enough. Sierra ruled, and I was an addict.

Lucas Arts had some really fresh and innovative games out during the same time, and I remember really, really enjoying them, but I never got the sense of "family" that I got from Sierra. It was almost like Disney for people who didn't like disney, and who liked games instead of cartoons.

I need to dig out my OOOOOOLD PC (Tandy 1000SL) and bring some of those games back to life...I can never get the emulators to recreate the beautiful 3-voice sound properly.

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I can't seem to make it through the day without some good ole Snake Squeezins and a hobo dog. :D

[​IMG]

Ahh, memories of uzi wielding nuns ...

peace | neut

23. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

True
    The gamer has become more mainstream. And I guess the mainstream gamers aren't looking for hours on end fidling with conversation and problem solving.
    They want immediate satisfaction, as they are used to from TV, DVD's etc.

Mainstream = $$$, sad but true

24. benpatient macrumors 68000

oh, this thread inspired me to look around and see if I could find a source for some of the old Sierra music. This place is wonderful:

http://www.queststudios.com/

go there.