What happened to hardware updates every 6 months?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

It seems like Apple is slacking when it comes to general hardware updates. The current eMac is 9 months old, the Powerbook is also 9 months old, and the Powermac is 7 months old.

I would understand a longer wait for a hardware revision, but how hard can it really be to simply bump the specs of a system? The eMac might be going G5 but that's it. The Powerbook and Powermac simply need bumps.

The iMac G5 is going on 5 months, so hopefully it will have an update by March/April since I want to buy the revision B.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple moved to 9 months -1 year on its update cycles which keeps the hardware even further behind the PC world. Another Sad but true statement on the ever going struggle of advancement in Macs world. It makes those secret sites even more important for the Mac user when ready to make a educated purchase. Who wants last years machine?

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I think it also has to do with the 3GHz barier. Steve said at the WWDC last year they were having problems pushing the speed up to 3.0 GHz, so the updates are probabily going slower because there having a hard time bumping the G5's higher and getting them to run stable. No as for Powerbooks and eMacs, I have nothing as thoes run G4's and should be able to be bumped up quite a bit.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Tell me about it. I NEED a new computer (I'm typing this from my celeron 333, with 128mb of ram running a supercompact linux distro!) and a 1.8ghz 17" iMac would definately suit my needs, but because of Apple completely unpredicable and unannounced upgrade cycle, I am worried that shortly after I buy the GPU will get an upgrade in the iMac line. I don't really care about the CPU, 1.8ghz is plenty for me, and the 4x Superdrive is more than adequate. But if they GPU goes to a 9X00 based chipset or something, especially if they move to 128mb VRAM, I'm gonna be very let down.

I suppose that with Apples good resale value I could always sell and upgrade, but man, that'd piss my wife off :eek: !

Rob

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

IBM is still having problems with the 2.5GHz G5 chip in producing mass amount. Look at the shipping dates for the PMG5 line alone, every machine with the exception in that line ships on the "same business day" stick model except the 2.5Ghz model. What a shame indeed? :(

This what would happen if they introduced a dual 3.0GHz PMG5 tomorrow the demand will be so hugh for that system that IBM cannot grade as many 2.5GHz chips today this will case delays in chipping a 3.0GHz chip in ample amount to Apple. :p

6. 3Memos macrumors 6502

They should provide price cuts at the half-way point.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you buy one right now you'll be fine.

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Dude, I know what you mean. I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I've been itching for an iPod Mini -- I got rid of my old one in November, thinking new ones were just around the corner. It's now been almost a full year without a new iPod Mini -- totally unacceptable when you see other music players getting an update every few months, and the regular iPod on a 6-8 month update schedule. I know it's hot and wild and hip, but that doesn't mean you don't have to update it ever.

I bought a new Powerbook when they came out in April of last year. I can't believe the Powerbook I bought is STILL selling for the same price -- that's nuts. I know Apple is pretty cutting edge with technology, so I don't feel my Powerbook is "old" by any means, but it is pretty crazy to sell what was the "latest and greatest" 9 months ago for the same price.

I hope Apple gets their act together soon, because a lot of their product lines are lagging.

9. toontra macrumors 6502

I've been waiting on a G5 Powermac for almost a year now. Jobs failed to deliver on his 3G machine promise last summer and I was totally underwhelmed by the one new announcement (2.5G); no way am I being a test pilot for a totally new liquid cooling architecture. In reality it has been nearer 18 months since a major bump in the G5 - that's too long!

I believe think Apple has switched its focus from pro-users (who need the CPU power to get work done) to it's ever-increasing consumer lines. There was literally nothing for me at MWSF; all fluff!

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes, I will be 'fine', as in the iMac will do what I need it to without any problems. I'm just saying that if I buy now and in March they release a rev. B with a better GPU I'm gonna be a little bummed, as I DO play some games from time to time. (I'm getting a Mac for a lot of reasons, but one of the top 3 is games - I'm a Linux users, so in comparrison you guys have it good!). There is a 98% chance I will snag a rev. A 17" SD model in about 2 weeks (I saved up enough for a 1.6ghz, but then decided to wait till I day enough for the 1.8ghz model).

Apple does seem to have shifted to a conumer line of products, which seems to work for them, especially after the success of the iPod. However, I think this focus is temporary becasue they need to have SOMETHING new to sell, and they are hitting some troubles with the pro line. My prediction is that in the next 2 years they will swing back to pro models being the "new hottness", as they release the G5Mobile (freescale G4) and dual core G5 chips.

The PM will get 4 cpu cores at 2ghz or 2.5ghz each, and there will be middle grade dual 3ghz and bottom end dual 2ghz. PBs will see fast single cpu G5M's and also the worlds first mobile dual CPU machine. The consumer lines will lag behind PCs again, and then slowly catch up to the power lines after about 2 years, and then the whole thing will repeat.

:)

Rob

11. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the fan/heat problems? Personally, I don't want to spend almost $2000 and risk getting a faulty computer. Apple has acknowledged the problem but has yet to fix it. I want to wait till they fix the kinks with revision B. Plus the graphics card is horrible for the 20" version. If your paying $2000, you should get more than a measly 64 MB of video RAM.

12. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

totally understandable but if your completely insistent on having the newest stuff, you will be disappointed every 6-9 months.

13. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

No b/c the graphics card in the iMac G5 was outdated from the start.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Exactly. The iMac G5 would be a perfect system if it's GPU was a 9600 (XT or Pro), even if it was 64mb still... Getting an iMac right now is sort of settling. It is an excellent match for what I need in most departments, but just adequate in the GPU... if an improved model came out a month after I got mine, it would be a little disappointing...

Rob

15. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

A "bump" of 1GHz wasn't enough? (It's a dual CPU system, remember.) Even if you look at it as "only" 500MHz per CPU, that's a lot higher than Apple has generally done in a long time. Boy, people sure are spoiled these days. ;) Also, there's nothing wrong with the liquid cooling system. (So, naturally, it explodes or something as soon as I send this message....)

Anyway, the PC side seems to have slowed down too (Intel not getting 4GHz and all that).

--Eric