What happened to my Bluetooth???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slooksterPSV, May 28, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

What happened to my Bluetooth???
    I have an icon in my top bar that shows the bt icon with a wavy line through it (see pic) and in my System Preferences there is no Bluetooth preference pane, and in my system profiler on the bluetooth part, it says "no information available." (well the last I can understand if there is no bluetooth device hooked up), but what happened to my bluetooth???

Attached Files:

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Seems like your bluetooth is busted? I'm guessing in was standard in your iBook or BTO, as you said it wasn't a USB dongle, and it seems that it's no longer there. Any new software additions that might have screwed it up? How about mad jew's standard recommendation of moving the appropriate .plist files and trying to see if that helps restore it (I'm guessing you've done the repair permissions thing already).

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

The most recent thing I installed was a demo version of pocket mac - so I could copy music to my Pocket PC which is a piece of-- so it may be that, ... ya know what, i be that is it.

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I remember what I did now, I started the computer in Single-User mode. I went into SU Verbose mode to repair the hard drive because I crashed the OS (removing a Pocket PC without shutting it down first), and I just typed in exit exit to logout of the system and it loaded the rest, but minimally up.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

That's weird. My Bluetooth disappeared less than a week ago. I couldn't figure out why, but I restarted and it came back. I had done the same thing you just described (fsck in SU mode, then typed exit), but I didn't make the connection. It's odd that OS X doesn't see the Bluetooth hardware when you do that...

6. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

7. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I think bc its a lot like Safe-mode, it doesn't initialize ALL the hardware, just critical hardware like network, usb, hdd, and display - oh and DVD/CDR drives.
    BT is just an extra device.

8. stick35 macrumors newbie

I'm seeing this now

Hello everyone - I'm seeing this same issue with a couple of extra things...

When I boot my iMac my bluetooth does not seems to activate. I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I see that same icon mentioned in this thread (with the wavy line through the little bluetooth icon). I have tried waiting it out, but it never does kick in. I have found that if I press the power button on the back of the machine the iMac goes into a standby mode, then when I press the button again the iMac comes back to life and the bluetooth kicks in right away. I can then use my mouse and keyboard.

Here's the real problem now... this all started happening after I had to force the system to power down when iTunes froze up on me and would not shut down - even after trying the force quit multiple times. The machine would not restart or shutdown, so I held the power button down for a few seconds and it powered down. When I started the machine back up I saw the behavior I described above. And now my iPhone does not work with the machine. When I plug it in nothing happens. Usually it would trigger the iMac to start iTunes and sync and charge the iPhone. I have tried all kinds of things... shut down and restarted the iPhone; shut down and restarted the iMac; shut down and left the iMac off for over an hour before turning it back on; reinstalled iTunes; switched to another usb port on the back of the machine; tested the cord by using it with a wall outlet power adapter (it immediately triggered the iPhone to start charging, so the cord is fine). All of that and still my iPhone is not recognized when I connect it to the iMac - and it does NOT start charging or do anything to indicate it knows it's "plugged in". The USB ports seem to be ok - they charge my mouse, and

I did just upgrade to iTunes 8.1 about a day ago (about a day before this issue arose). It did sync and charge the iPhone after installing it the other day.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm really hoping that someone will have some advice for me. I've had the iMac for a couple of years now (my first mac), but I'm still a newbie to the Mac world.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

************ U P D A T E ***************
    OH MY GOD - I don't believe this... as I was reading my post before submitting it, I was thinking about what else was using the USB ports and I found that my OneTouch external hard drive was not being recognized by the iMac. I unplugged the OneTouch and plugged it back in. It powered up and the machine recognized it. Now everything is fine!!!!!! When I restart, the bluetooth problem is gone and the iPhone is recognized when I connect it.

I figured I should still make this post so it might be able to help someone else in the future. I'm sorry if I wasted your time, and I'm happy if I helped you solve the same problem on your machine!