What happened to my FInder Icon?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Spica, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Spica macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a mac newbie and I don't know how I managed to do it but I somehow dragged my finder icon out of the dock and onto the destop.

The finder icon on my desktop is at the bottom of the screen I can't seems to click on the icon at all. Anyway to get it back into the dock?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive never heard of this to be honest, but try relaunching the finder

to do this press command (apple key) + Option + Escape and you can relaunch the finder from there

3. Spica thread starter macrumors member

Help

Nope. It didn't work. It's getting irritating.

THe pic is here.

Attached Files:

4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

This happened to one of my friends a long long time ago, and i was trying to remeber what fixed it. Try doing the usual, Repair Permissions. When you restart your computer does it come back on?

5. Spica thread starter macrumors member

What do u mean by repair permissions?

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Application --> Utilities ---> Disk Utility ---> repair disk permissions. try that

7. Spica thread starter macrumors member

Oh yah.. THis is so embaressing. I restarted and it worked.

8. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Just be glad that it wasn't serious. For future reference, always repair permissions and do a restart first. Alot of the time that is the problem.

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Looks amazing... the lonely and forgotten Finder is sad and wanted to be alone... I hope my Finder to get well along the other apps. :).

BTW, Good that you have it again.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The Finder can't normally be dragged out of the Dock, as it's always running. If it crashes (or is terminated for any reason), I believe it's the Dock itself that relaunches it.

However, if for some reason the Dock doesn't relaunch it (or, the Finder is having problems that prevent it relaunching), you'd be free to remove it. I've no idea why this happened, but by restarting (logging out and back in should have worked too) you launched the Finder normally and everything is kosher.

11. matthewr macrumors member

I've had this happen to me at least 3 times. It seems to happen if you are running a lot of different programs (like, say, photoshop, itunes, iphoto, safari, quicktime, excel and word all at once). It seems to happen if you accidentally try to drag the finder icon out of the dock while you have many programs running. Anyway, in my experience, all that it took to get things back to normal wass a restart. It is a little scary the first time, but doesn't seem to be a lasting problem.

For more info about this (or at least to hear from others who have had this problem), there is another thread about this (maybe 1 - 2 months old).