what happened to my imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JonD25, Apr 8, 2006.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Ok, this is a collection of all the problems I've been having with my iMac lately that I've made posts for in other forums but no one has yet to give me an answer that fixes the problem.

First off, in Finder on the very first layer of my hard drive, some folders that are supposed to be invisible are not, namely "etc", "tmp", and "var". And they won't let me change them back (and yes, I tried making all invisible folders visible, then back to invisible. No dice)

Second, Camino is starting very slowly for me. Safari works fine, but Camino takes at least 30 seconds to even start loading my home page and I get a spinning beach ball. I tried uninstalling the whole thing, all its preference files and cache, and then reinstalling it. No dice.

I also noticed that Spotlight stopped working for me. I'll type something in, and nothing happens.

Oh, also, I have it set to auto log in to my account, but it never does. It always stops at the login screen first no matter how many times I go in and tell it to log in automatically.

And I also forgot to mention, except for the first problem with finder, these problems are isolated to my account, but the Administrator account I set up seems unaffected.

This is all just the culmination of all the other problems I've had with this machine lately. I've archived and installed once to try and fix my keyboard but that didn't work until I upgraded to 10.4.6. But then I got a few power outages (about 4), I installed a program that gave me a kernel panic, and then a lot of bugs started. So I restored a backup of my system from my external, upgraded to 10.4.6, and now all these problems. I'm thinking of just doing another archive and install and just starting over. Unless you guys know of a way to fix all these problems.

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha thanks, but tried it.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

To start I'm sure there is plenty of ways to fix the "multiple" problems your having however...I would try doing a clean install and not just another archive and install since you still have your problem and many more. I have read about a lot of problems (bugs) from owners that have a build number more recent than 8G1165 (the orginal before the updates it was 8G1170 or 1171). Your restore disc will have this # on it.
    So with that said after doing this try to install all the updates then each program one at a time and see what happens, such as kernel panics and so on. This would help narrow it down to either one thing or multiple issues with or without the updates.

5. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. I'm backing up my user files now and I'll do a clean install. Hopefully that'll fix my problems. This just isn't good timing for me, as a few big assignments are due soon in some classes and I just don't have much time to be doing all this. But thanks.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just quickly (not sure if this was the problem), make sure you have at least 8GB of free hard drive space available. OSX can act very erratically if it goes below 8GB. :)

7. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I had plenty of space... like 120 GB free :D

I reinstalled and am now updating all the software to the most current releases. After that I'll begin the task of moving my backed up files and apps back over. But everything seems to be working fine so far. I can't help but feel.... cleaner :)

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

Hasn't there been reports of Camino, not being a UB yet, eating away at memory?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a Universal Binary.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

To the OP: Just so you know, you really don't have to set up a separate user account from an admin account. This isn't like Windows, where an Admin-level user is basically root. On OS X, Admin just means you have a few more privileges than a standard user, but you're still not root—you can't do anything without being asked for authorization. So you can just have one account (yours) be admin-level without it being a security risk.