What happened to my mic??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prostuff1, Oct 22, 2006.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I was just about to start an audio chat with my dad in ichat so i adjusted the screen position and proceeded to connect to him. Everything connected just fine but for some reason he could not hear me. At first i thought it was my internet because it has been a pain in the arse and the connection kinda sucks. Anyway, i ended up using my iMac for the chat and that worked just fine so i then moved on to trying to figure out the exact cause. I narrowed it down to the built in mic is being a pain. It is really weird because if the screen in in an almost vertical position the mic works, it is static filled, but it does work. If i tilt the screen back or forward the thing totally cuts out and i get no response from it. I tested this in Quicktime by trying to record some stuff and i basically figured out that i am correct.

Basically I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

This is the first problem i have had with the iBook and I don't want to be without it for a long time. I know i have to get it fix but is this something they can fix in store??

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

somehow the wire inside probably got kinked. I severed the wire on my 12" PowerBook's mic when I replaced the HDD (whoops :rolleyes:) Most likely, the hinge has something to do with it, since you said that it works if you move the display. The only way that I can see to fix it is to open it up, which is probably the least fun/most horrifying computer related experience you can have (other than running Windows ME)

Hope that helped.

3. traybates macrumors newbie

Mic not working until I moved display

Was the problem a wire in the hinge? My MBA is acting the same way.