What happened to my sound?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DVDSP, Aug 23, 2005.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I've had a Mac mini since late April. Everything was working fine until one day I stopped getting sound in some video files and flash animations. I can hear sound on the QT Trailers site but most other sites I can't hear anything. Also, if I go to, say, Homestar Runner, I get no sound.

Oddly, if I download a video I still won't get any audio in the QuickTime Player. But, if I transfer that video to my PowerMac I will get the audio.

I don't get it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Please list what types of sounds DO play correctly (e.g., music CDs, DVDs, songs in iTunes, etc.) and which DO NOT. This will help us all to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Am I correct in assuming that some sounds DO play correctly? If so, does their sound come from the Mac mini's internal speaker, or are they playing through your external speakers? What kind of speakers do you have? Have you checked to make sure they're plugged in correctly and that they even work? (Try them with your iPod, if you have one, or some other device that is compatible with them.)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had the same thing once. Try opening and then closing Garageband. From memory, it resets core audio or something like that. :)

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If that works, someone at Apple deserves an ass-whoopin' for not including the same functionality in a more obvious place, like in the Control Panel (a nice "Fix Audio" button would be good).

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Yay thanks! I had that same problem and it fixed it.

6. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I had something similar happen to me, except it was that my audio kept swinging out of balance for no reason and I'd discover it whenever I went into Sound from the System Preferences menu. I downloaded a fix somewhere, I forget where, but it's somewhere...