What happened to OS 9's Voiceprint?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Will Cheyney, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

This is a question I've asked myself a couple of times.
    It appears to be one of those 'things' that was lost during the OS 9 > OS X transition.
    Most of the missing features have eventually made it back (i.e. scheduled startup/shutdown), but Voiceprint is one of those things that has never been reinstated.

I'm not saying it was particularly brilliant, I just remember Apple being pretty proud of it as the time and it's odd that such a nifty feature hasn't been developed.

2. Will Cheyney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I think it was a pretty underutilized feature and they didn't think it necessary to spend the time recoding. I mean, did anyone actually use that stuff as the standard way to get into their machine? Seems like more of a hassle then just typing in a password. It kind of reminds of the infraredport that was on the original iMacs. It was there, no one used it, they quietly got rid of it.

4. CharlesRobinson macrumors newbie

CharlesRobinson

Didn't they reinstate the IR thing with front row?

I thought the voice thing was awesome. I always wanted to have the quote that peter watts used on millenium to get into his computer ("My God, it's full of stars") but I didn't have a microphone on my computer when I used 9.

5. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Ive read somewhere awhile back that OS9's viocce print feature was not very secure and that after saying the password a couple times you could get in the system. They probably ditched it to improve security within the OS.

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

That quote is from the movie 2010 originally BTW.

(EDIT: and from the book 2001, before some smartass replies!)