what happened to pixlet?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by homerjward, Oct 19, 2005.

1. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i was watching steve jobs' wwdc 2003 keynote and saw him mention a video codec called "pixlet" for really high-end, studio-quality video, and i wanted to see where it was in quicktime, but i cant seem to find it. is there any way to export a quicktime movie as pixlet? (i know there's no advantage going to it from a lossier codec but it'd just be cool :p)

2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I know Compresser can do Pixlet (as of FCP4.5 and QT 6, anyway), but I don't think QT Pro offers it.

I think Pixlet is a dated standard now that H.264 is around, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple quietly scrapped Pixlet in favor of H.264.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Pixlet is based on wavelet technology, so the technology will still exist in some form, perhaps for high quality archiving.

4. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I stand corrected :)

The format (Pixlet) never really seemed to take off, though. (IMHO, anyway.)

5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I could be cynical and say that Apple made a huge deal out of it just as an empty marketing ploy for Panther, but that wouldn't be quite fair… would it?

I'm sure it's a worthy codec, but Apple made it seem like it was one of the top ten reasons to upgrade to Panther, which for 99.5% of users patently wasn't the case.

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Pixlet is still around in QT7 Pro (.mov, adjust, Apple Pixlet Video) but I believe it's only used for high end video. It's a very nice codec though.
    -Chase