What happened to PS3 Linux

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Sep 30, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well with only 6-7 weeks before launch. We have seen the launch games, we have seen the dashboard but.... what on earth happened to linux ? Has it been totally scrapped ?

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think there are still a lot "?" around PS3 :( I'd love to see more about the online, the marketplace, the actual system being demo'd (like turn it on, pop in a game, see it load etc.), what the packaging looks like, what is gonna be in the box, details details!!! It's only a month and a half away!!!! :(

and if Linux is cancelled (wouldn't doubt it) I will be a sad panda...

Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux programming activities… Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3.
    —Izumi Kawanishi on the presence of the Linux in the PS3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3

that was from May so hopefully they haven't bailed on it yet.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I think, as has been speculated, that Linux was not much more than a wow-factor and an attempt to fool the tax man.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. Soon as I heard about Sony being refused a load of tax back from Europe (It never ends does it, Sony Europe?) it was sort of the end for PS3 Linux. Or so it seems. Gone the way of dual 1080p, of 4D and all that nonsense. The launch is coming up now and they can't BS us anymore. I bring you to the revealing interview (no link) with the Sony guy that for once spoke realistically.

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I wouldn't say it's been taken out of the PS3. I think the core OS is linux based with the PS3 GUI on-top, which would explain how easily they could interface small upgrades to certain things. Remember, the PS2 had a complete Linux kit, many people even posted blogs and wrote mid-term papers from the kit. I think that it was initially sold to see if people could/would use it. If I recall correctly, they sold out of the Linux kits. So I believe they may have incorporated it as the full OS this time around...

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I suspect as much Oni and said at the time I'd be surprised if the claims of Linux installed in every ps3 wouldnt amount to anything more than the GUI.

But I also the wild claims of a full Linux ps3 suddenly seems to have dissapeared without so much of a shhhhhh....

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

after watching the TGS interface menu, I wonder if they will even bother. I mean, the amount of people that will actually USE linux is small, and those who really wanna will just find a way to hack it.

The reason i really wanted liux was for a web broswer and a chat IM, well the web browser on PS3 looks pretty snazzy, and if i can use a BT keyboard/mouse i'm pretty much set

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the web browser looks interesting alright.

I agree the chances of any normal user using linux was slim to none. In fact I couldnt work out how they were EVER going to make it work.

giving people without experience of linux (most people) and mucking up their operating system would be nothing short of a nightmare. Support would be owverwhelmed with, why doesnt microsoft office install etc....

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I would still love to see it though, or the option of downloading it or something. I could see them not including it, but offering it (probably at a price :rolleyes:)

By no means will Linux make or break the system so I doubt the big S even cares lol I just wanna get the system out the door.

And, unrelated but too many PS3 threads already, does anyone in Canada know of anywhere doing pre-orders? EB isnt right now (maybe not ever), Bestbuy/Futureshyt said they wouldn't be doing them.period. Zellers of all places is doing Wii preorders so I might have to check there. I really don't wanna line up or camp out (not in this lifetime) :p