What happened to SCSI support?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dane D., Jan 23, 2006.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    What happened to SCSI support? I just installed OS 10.4.3 on a G4/466 Digital Audio unit, 640MB RAM. I also installed the 10.4.4 up-date, iTunes up-date, JAVA up-date and Quicktime up-date. Installed on brand new Western Digital HD 80GB, kept original HD with OS 9.2.2. I have an Adaptec 2930 SCSI PCI card installed with an APS 8x4x24x CD-RW and Iomega 2GB JAZ drive hooked-up. Here's the problem: If I turn on the two SCSI devices, computer boots and then within seconds a dark gray screen appears and tells me to re-start. BUT if I leave the SCSI devices off, boot-up is fine. Adaptec's card is supported according to Adaptec's web site, I didn't check Iomega because I am disconnecting JAZ drive and retiring it out of service. So far the system runs fine as long as I keep the CD-RW power-off.:confused:
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    It's called an kernel panic, and it's probably a problem with the SCSI driver from Adaptec. IMO, Adaptec really, really, really, really sucks under OS X.

More info about kernel panics on Apple's support website.
  3. boskie macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2001
    North Side Of Itchy Town
    I concur, only use ATTO cards in OSX (any flavour) as they have tried and tested drivers for which i use in my ProTools, DVD Studio Pro and FCP machines that have Ultra160, Ultra320 or even LVD devices on with no problems.

Hope this helps