What happened to SETI?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Dane D., Mar 1, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Power failure screwed their servers. Wouldn't send or receive wu's. Un-installed the app on my G3/300 took too long to do wu anyhow.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

SETI is a waste. There are no alien life forms. Even if they existed, and if they could travel beyond the speed of light (which is physically impossible) by means of a worm hole, then they would have announced their existence to us already. No need to go searching for them.

Not saying SETI is bad, just useless. Go Folding instead.

3. DrBoar macrumors member

While the use of SETI may be questionable it is the last DC project for all pre OS X macintosh computers. For X and windows I do F@H :rolleyes:

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yeah, like there's more chance of finding any folders out there, nah, I'll stick to finding aliens... :D

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont think seti is a waste, it may not be as tangiable as proteins, but let people have their dreams, who knows if there are aliens they might know the secrets of all the proteins ';)

6. relimw macrumors 6502a

Sounds like something an alien would say... Are you not telling us something Lacero? ;)

Going faster than the speed of light has never been dis/proven by humans, that doesn't mean it's not possible...

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Aliens would have far superior technology and most likely have known of us for a long long time. Why would they bother stooping down to our primitive barely above stone knifes and bear skin civilization??? we have had technology now for what 75 years? laugh,laugh,We cant even live in peace among ourselves let alone with another civilization. What could we offer them they dont allready have??? nothing but problems. Plus why would a advance technology mess with something like radiowaves??? it would be like using smoke signals to contact Nasa.
    Do some research into the Valid cases not the loonies and you will find that 1 they are here, 2 our govt knows and refuses to tell us what they know under reasons of ( so called) national security. 3 they are so far advanced from us that their technology is beyond our primitive understanding and would appear as almost Magic to us. Seti may be good for finding another civilization on the same technological level but thats it. couldnt be 2 way communication only some distant signal from a long time ago. The pentagon has the info and is holding it very close. Do little research on some of these pentagons dudes from the 50s and see what they said to family on their deathbeds. above top secret. Et has little to gain from us. We may even be one of their experiments for all we know. Seti is a waste. my 2 cents.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just a couple of points... the more far-fetched conspiracy theories I'll let slide...
    We've had technology for millions of years, ever since one of our forfather/-mothers first picked up a stick or stone to use it as something else then a stick/stone, e.g. poke into an anthill to capture ants or throw at some pray or a competing predator... radio technology, on the other hand has been around since last half of the 19th century...
    Actually, "just" finding out that life has started and developed into a civilization of some sort, would be one of the biggest breakthroughs in science in modern time. Just, think what it would mean for mankind to know there's someone else out there...

9. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i believe that the most likely alien we're going to find will be a bug. ;)

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Far fetched? you just may be totally ignorant on the subject. Top Brass knows they are here and there is nothing (NOTHING) we can do about it. This is why they have labeled UFO's as not a threat to the security of the U.S and why they arent investigated by the govt or at least thats what they say. I wonder why there are clear instructions on how Fireman are to handle a crash from one of these things if they arent real. Its in their books you know and its not there for nothing.
    When i say technology im not talking sticks and prods im talking about real advancement and we have only had it for about 100 years. sorry but you may want to do a little research and educate yourself on the subject matter. Not all govts of the world are covering these things up and spinning it. see Belgium and Mexico. They have been photographed,filmed,seen on radar,observed,by scientist,astronauts,policeman,pilots and everyday folks. go back to the 50s and ask why they were scrambling fighters over the whitehouse? so many examples of lies from our own govt on this very subject. It doesnt fit into our god created the earth in seven days view does it. If our own govt came out with the truth the church peddlers wouldnt know what to do. They would be looking for new jobs.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Fan of X-files, are we...???

:)

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or maybe they are little buggy things that run around and eat grass.

Needed a good laugh this morning. Thanks. Really, that was funny!

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Your welcome! everyone needs to laugh :D here is a good place to start if anyone is interestedhttp://www.ufoevidence.org Like i said earlier Seti's is a waste and for some strange reason our Govt doesnt seem to want to aknowledge even the subject matter Officially. You would think intrusion into our airspace would mean something. I find it very interesting that many pictures and films taken by military through history have never been released. What are they affraid of if these things arent real? I would like to see that Gordy Cooper film that was sent to the brass in washington. He said he never saw that film again. Anyways he went on to become one of the Mercury 7 and that was after his crew filmed the object.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Obviously, you've just proven that everything concerning other life in the unverse is wrong and with nothing to back it up. You're brilliant. :D

Once again, I'm on a quest to find...oops, I can't say that. :D

15. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

At the risk of upsetting the good folks who diligently allow their computer to be used for folding... computer modeling of protein folding probably actually has similar utility as SETI. I was involved in computational chemistry and biology early on, and I can tell you the enormity of the complexity - and the degree to which randomness and unknown processes affect protein folding - make for a number of critical approximations when making these calculations, which seriously limit their applicability. (For those that point to the "results" that have already been obtained, they took into account a LOT of approximations, in some cases "cheating" based on knowing what a protein SHOULD look like.)

Again, if you donate your computer for folding, good for you. I hope it works. But I don't think it's accurate to assert you've got a much better chance than SETI.

--D

16. DrBoar macrumors member

I am well aware that there a lot of educated guesses in folding. While the CPU power has exploded the basic algorims are 20 years old or so. So just to predict how a streatch of amino-acids behave (alpha-helix, random coil, turn or beta sheet etc) is very difficult. At least a while ago the prediction ratio was not close to 100% but in the 60-70% range.

Then to make larger (teritiary) structures of these smaller (secondary) structures :eek:

The thing with protein structure is that we get more and more hard data from real protein structure and with that knowledge we get more and more informantion to feed back into the predictive models to make them better.

This kind of iterative work we do not have in SETI AFAIK.