What happened to the desktop? A PS thread.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fBaran, Dec 11, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    Finally worked this out semi-well. What do you think? I know I know, I need icons.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
  3. macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    The panels on the wall don't line up properly with those on the screen. There is a slight misalignment of the curve of the chair as it enters the screen.
  4. macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    That is absolutely sweet. Anyone have instructions on how to do this? I'd like to try it.

Post what it looks like with a window open.
  5. macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Good job. Yes there are minor alignment issues, but all-in-all, good job at actually having the time/patience to complete the process.

How long did it take you to finish the project?
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    It could've been much better if I had a tripod (or a mechanical arm), but I don't. I had two pics. One with the iBook open, one with it closed. It took me 20 minutes to realize I was doing everything as.s-backwards, but once everything was fine, it took me about 5 minutes.

Pic 1: Open iBook.
    Pic 2: Closed iBook.

Layer pic1 onto pic2, and using blending options, make it like 15% opacity so you can see most of pic2 (the wall). Then, make a layer of the wall the size/shape of the screen, and move it over...this seems so confusing. It's a fuzzy concept to grasp, and when I done I realized that how I did it wasn't really what I wanted to do! There was a thread or website with tons of pics of that stuff.
    Basically, when you look at your own screen (not a pic, like mine), you should be able to "see through" it. I have that effect of just the pic. As my desktop background, I don't quite get the effect (set my pic as your bg and you'll get it...maybe?). Thanks for the comments, eventually I'll try something way better...when I have my stability issue corrected (along with the lighting).