What happened to the Dual 1.42 G4's???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ftaok, Jul 2, 2003.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I see that the Apple store still has G4 PowerMacs, but the top one is just a Dual 1.25 and I don't think it was the latest MDD. Does anyone know if they're still available anywhere and if they are a good value (considering that there would be a price drop)?

2. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

apple is not selling them anymore....... you'd have to try hitting up an apple reseller. my personal opinion is you'd be better off getting a low end g5 for what you'd spend on the dual g4. if you really want the g4, try callin macmall or macwharehouse or i bet your local compusa prob still have some in stock.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The 1.42 was always a temporary stopgap until the 970 hit the scene.

Moto was pushing them out at very low yields; most batches had very few G4s actually hitting that speed.

4. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

Dual 1.xgHz G4s

In my experience working on them (a local college's Apple Service center) the high-end G4s have a small percentage of problems in the processor core. We found that "normal" use would be fine (slight web browsing, maybe some word docs) but anything processor intensive (like say Mathmatical computations) and the machine would Kernel Panic. I'd stick with either a single proc G4 1ghz (its like $1299 at Apple) or wait for some reviews on the G5 before buying one. Historically Apple has had some "issues" with first model lines. (anyone remeber the first TiBooks?) But this is just my opinion based on limited observation at where I work.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Re: What happened to the Dual 1.42 G4's???

Maybe Moto never got the G4 to hit 1.42GHz after all. Maybe the G4 was just overclocked like some people here mentioned. Not to start things up again, but........ :p

But I'd still like to know why this is so. :confused: