What happened to the IE Update??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Where did the "next major IE release" go??? I though it was supposed to be released with OSX.1.5?

Anyone have any info?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, just as I'm getting used to this version.

I'll wait a while after its available, want to make sure all the bugs and security are taken care of.

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Mozilla is 1.0, and you text folks can smooth it now! That is a pretty compelling reason to ditch IE.

I'll never use IE again (save for those sites so poorly coded that they choke Mozilla).

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

IE has AA text as well, using Silk...

Until Mozilla speeds up, and Chimera crashes less, I'm sticking with IE.

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hopefully the next version of IE will fix all of the existing problems!

6. j763 macrumors 6502a

I find mozilla a lot faster than IE... Just load a MR page-long thread in IE... OMG, it's so SLOW!!! Moz renders it much more quickly...

Chimera looks really cool, but for the moment, I'm sticking with Moz...

7. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Mozilla has slow as hell DHTML

I know for general page viewing it's quick, that whole 'fastest browser on earth' stuff with Opera is a total lie too.

here's a total CPU hog of a DHTML page I've written, it's totally cross browser so you can see for yourself how fast IE is compared with the others.

It's moving over 70 layers at once while calculating a reasonable complex 3D routine, changing the colour of the dot in each layer based on it's Z axis and dynamically changing the visibility of each layer according to whether it's in view or not. The maximum animation speed is 16.6 frames per second.

It's bit of an old school "demo" type sphere made of dots but it was fun coding it, check it out. here and see for yourself.

I might try and code a fps counter for it with a little help from a few DHTML forums eventually aswell but it gives a good indication if you're browser is good for scripting or not.

8. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Interesting...

This is the very first page I've ever had IE render faster than Mozilla. If all web pages were this cumbersome, I might consider switching. Thankfully, they're not. Even IE crashed when I quit from the page.

Here's another test (one I've posted before).

Go to http://tvguide.com and load your tv listings. Do the satellite listings just to make the page one huge table. Measure the amount of time it takes to a) load the page enough that it's viewable and b) load the page fully. Don't even try to tell me IE is as fast as Mozilla (or Chimera).

Probably only points out that your web browser is fastest for you based on what sites you go to.

If I go to your spinning dot ball page, though, I'll make sure to use IE. For everything else, I'll use Mozilla.

9. whawho macrumors regular

I use Mozilla and it seems way faster than IE, at least on my system.

And you've gotta love tabbed browsing.

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

for me I use IE cause its seems faster and everything works in it
    mozilla still has bugs

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oddly enough... just as i am reading this thread about browsers, chimera goes ahead and crashes on me...

ahhh..

i like chimera best. but it best stop crashing so much.....

i still use ie for the stuff that chimera can't do. yet. i hope that changes

12. iGav macrumors G3

I'm finding IE alittle slow at the moment, and it doesn't seem that stable either....... I'm hoping we'll get an update sooner rather than later.....

anything to make my system smoother...... :)

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Have you downloaded the 0.3 release? I've been using it for about an hour now, with not a single crash. Seems like they nailed most of the reliability problems from .2.8

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oh snap! i didn't nkow it was out

yeah, i'll be hitting that up promptly

thanks queen mum

edit: yeah, i got it... thanks again

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Your welcome, ya septic tank :p

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

don't start that crap here. that's for community....

anyone else notice they changed chimera hot keys.... apple [ used to be back. now it's apple left arrow....

not terrible, but will take some getting used to.

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

It's actually more logical like this.

Is it just me, or does it seem to be a bit faster now too?

18. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Not just you. It's definitely faster. They wrote that they had taken about a 45% speed hit when they added AA the old way. They are now taking advantage of how 10.1.5 deals with AA, which only cost them 5% (speed-wise).

At least as importantly, it's much more stable again!

Chris

19. Choppaface macrumors 65816

if you really want browser speed get a PC :D

IE on XP is like lightning...although when it crashes it takes the whole OS down with it he he :D

not to mention it doesnt have a quarter of the features that mac IE has....which is very odd

20. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

For gods sake, what is 0.3 of a second when downloading a page!!!!

21. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

That's a fair attitude to have, and i can understand that. But why should you have to settle for something like ie, when there's a faster, better-looking browser out there?

That 0.3 of a second wouldn't make much difference on a dial-up modem. For broadband users it's different though. The whole point of broadband is to make the internet faster. If a browser can help to add speed, then you're going to go for it, even if it's just a 0.3 of a second each time. It's similar to asking why gamers need 290 fps, when 150 would do just fine; to get the best out there.

22. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I'd rather 'settle' for IE, which most of the sites I visit are designed for. I used to use communicator and then mozilla for a little but and I just couldn't settle for all the misplaced images and skewed tables. its unfortunate that so many designers fudge on other browser support, but this kind of battle is not going to be won by a few mac users using other browsers

as for broadband, I have both my dual 500 mac and my dual 1900 XP PC hooked up to cable, and although the PC renders pages a *lot* faster than my mac (its more like a 3 to 10 sec difference and not a .3 sec difference between these two, it really doesn't bother me . there are some times when I'm trying to do something quickly and the speed pays off, but on average the extra rendering time doesnt add minutes off of my daily browsing time...

23. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

im guessing you havent used mozilla in a very long time. the problems you mention have not existed for quite sometime. for a faster more pleassant browsing experience i suggest you check out mozilla again. i think you will be pleasantly surprised. also check it out on your pc. again i think you will be surprised.

24. Choppaface macrumors 65816

well the new version refuses to work on my 8.6 box, I'll have to try it on my OSX box and my PC tomarrow. I hope at least they fixed that damn tiling error....it would always mistile background images in table cells that had type in them

one thing that's kind of funny that this board has a scrollbar style, yet its only windows IE that reads scrollbar styles right?

25. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Mozilla

Not sure about the 8.6 box, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it, anyway. On my wife's iBook (running 9.2), Mozilla is unacceptably slow in loading. It still renders faster than IE, but now that much faster. I think that IE is the best and fastest browser for OS 8 & 9 (esp. on a slower machine). On OS X, though, Mozilla is far more stable and much faster. The problems you wrote about are absolutely ancient.

Give Mozilla a try for 3 days. Try tabs. You won't be disappointed.

Can you say more about the scrollbar style thing? I either don't understand or simply haven't experienced the same problem.

Chris