what happened to the internet revolution? or the predicted comeback?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 3, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i think of long term internet success stories, only ebay.com comes to mind among the major players

what happened to cisco technicians being flooded with work with wide area networks which were supposed to litter the landscape?

why are we still mostly in a single pc/single mac world?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

alls i know is, you're not the oldest active member.... hah

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

well then i will have to change my signature

who is it then? one poster pointed out that the oldest active member was arn but i was not counting administrators:D

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I also think of Amazon, Slashdot, MoveOn.org, etc.

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

the 2nd internet revival will come in the form of everyone and their 101-yr-old granny setting up an online music store.

the 2nd internet revival will come to a close at the end of 2004, at which time, musicmatch, rhapsody, napster, etc will have declared bankruptcy.

a 3rd internet revival may have some hope after 2004. i say this because by the end of 2004, G5 PM will have taken a hold in the office, boosting productivity so much that the economy really takes off.

:p

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I would say that eBay, Amazon and Yahoo were the big winners monetary wise. Google will be the next big winner but they don't count since they came about in the wake of the .com bust. Slashdot has managed to make a tidy profit through advertising and ThinkGeek. A few political websites are now wildly popular like MoveOn.org and Druge Report.

Still, it's a rather small list compared to the list of failures.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's true, however, for business in general.

8. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

The whole internet bubble was the result of trying to push the technology of the internet too far too fast.

There were also a lot of bad business decisions made that led to the end of many of the internet businesses.

The internet is still slowing evolving, just look at iTunes. It's a program that is seemly integrated with the internet, and many more things like it will be in the future.

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah very few actually post a profit...Amazon is the only one that really comes to mind when I think of Internet success stories.

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

While not a business this site is a success story, like most other .com fourms. Arn must make a small $ due to advertising on this site.

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

how is drudge report a political site? it's a news website last time i checked...