What happened to the "Year of HD"?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Preacher85, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Preacher85 macrumors member

Preacher85

I guess this is kind of bugging me. Back in January, Steve said this was the "Year of HD". Sure, we've seen HD capabilities reach some programs, but what else is there? So far, the Year of HD hasn't been nearly as exciting as the Year of the Laptop or the Year of the iPod.

I suppose I was hoping for HD screens to make it into more than a couple cinema displays. How about an iMac HD, or a 17 inch Powerbook HD? (The powerbook displays are nice, but honestly, I've seen some really sweet, bright, not necessarily HD, but much better displays on Toshiba laptops. Come on Apple, step up to the plate).

To me, from the lack of HD announcements from Apple, and no one saying anything on the forums, it just seems that the Year of HD has gone by the wayside.

I guess we still have half a year left, but the momentum has slowed, and the only thing I can think of to announce any more HD stuff is the Paris Expo.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

As exciting as the year of the laptop? That year was horrible!

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I suppose Apple announcing iDVD 5, iMovie HD, Final Cut Studio HDV support, DVD Studio 4, Compressor 2, H.264 codec and Blu-Ray support is pretty lacking for HD announcements.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

lol looks like it will be the decade of the ipod instead :D

High hopes on them ibooks/powerbook upgrades and hell even the mac mini

6. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

if they do upgrade the laptops (which god knows apple need too) the best thing I can see upgrading is the screen. higher resolution is greatly needed. pc laptops have had this for some time now.

7. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

That was 2003. We got the 12" and 17" PBs in January (delivered Feb / March) - along with the excellent Verne Troyer TV ad - and the Alum. 15" PBs a few months later. I thought that was a pretty good year.

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Oh yes that was a great year. :eek:

It took them until September of 2003 to get an Aluminum 15" powerbook.

And I mean... who could forget the overheating issues with the first revision 12" powerbooks, or the white spots on the 15" powerbooks.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i forgot all about them white spots lol

well if anything is going to happen this year there is only Paris left to do it justice - can't see them doing it anytime soon or with the "maybe" movie store as iTunes has just been updated

any news on iTunes 5 ?

o well just looks like HD Screens on PowerBooks :rolleyes:

10. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Well, it was the year of the notebook, not just the spring of the notebook. Steve builds in some wiggle room with his looking-at-the-placemat-while-waiting-for-food "year of" phrasing. And in fairness, it was never advertised as the year of the flaw-free Rev. A notebook - more wiggle room.

11. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

The year of the laptop is gonna be 2006 or 2007. MmmWaaHaaaaaHaaaaHaaaa. Can't wait.

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Um... ok? What do you want me to say? It was a good year for notebooks? The notebooks Apple put out were great? In all honesty, the "Year of the notebook" brought nothing but speed bumps... oh... and disappointment.

And seriously, how catchy is "year of the flaw-free Rev. A notebook"? IMO, every Apple product should be flaw-free (besides the occasional lemons, which are Ok), even Revision A's. We pay a premium for Apple products, and we deserve to get the most for our money.

14. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Capt'n feel the humor of my post. (I think it's quite funny - had me thinking about the Job's calendar and the recommendations on it: 2003: Year of the notebook; avoid the Desktop and Newton, look to HD for happiness) The year of the notebook hits a deep chord with you. But that aside, it really did give us the 12 and 17 and all the dicussions about what sort of case you could find for the 17, etc. (humor there again). :) :)

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Forgive me... jokes seem to pass right over my head. I am blonde, after all.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think this year should be called a year of iMac :D

*wants iMac so badly :( *

17. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

No worries. I recall you also encountered some quality control problems with an Oreo, in aggregate, all of that can be frustrating. :)

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Is it sad that I still have that oreo... wrapped in foil... sitting about 2.5 feet away from me?

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This has been the year of the G5 Powerbook, as in, we'll remember 2005 as the year we didn't get them.

20. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

This is also "the year the notebooks got really old and creaky, plus there won't be a significant upgrade for another year."

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

"Year of HD," well there is still about 6 months left till 2006. :)

So far its been a good yet slow start. ;) :)

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

What's the point?

Only the G5s are capable of displaying 30fps HD content, much less editing it...

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's only in regards to HD encoded in the h.264 codec. Given the right support equipment (i.e. proper storage and an HD capture card) I'll edit HD on my 3+ year old Quicksilver.

Lethal

24. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Okay. Thanks.

What does one do with HD footage then? How would you play it on an HDTV? Or would this be something you'd only play from your computer?

25. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I read this thread title thinking "Why would this be year of the Hard Disk?" Time for bed, huh? :rolleyes:

I'm believing these "Year of the yada yada" announcement less and less now. What happened to the celebrations of the Macintosh? "Lots more coming" SJ said. So.... where be it?

Do people really believe there's to be an HD iBook?