What happened??!!! Weird Mac crash

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Sep 15, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I had a very untidy crash today. No neat windows or boxes displaying error messages. A whole lot of text spilled onto my screen line by line in white on black, overwriting as it went. It stopped about 3/4's of the way down and the computer was locked.

It began with:
    System Failure: cpu=0 code=0000007 (unaligned stack)
    Exception State sv=0x207CB780

and so on

No, this not on a PC. This was on my Mac running OSX 10.3.5.

All I had been doing was ejecting an image at the same time another was mounting. There's not a bug in doing that is there?

I've had a variety of program and system crashes on my Mac, but never one as ugly as this.

I turned it off and restarted. It's been running fine since.

Does anyone know what happened??

thanks

2. stevey500 macrumors 6502

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

ouch... i think i'd have a heart attack if that happened on my PB :eek:

whats that called... like an "EXTREME kernal panic" or something?

4. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

the good news is i think you will be fine!

probably just a crash that happened on a deeper lever... kernel crash or so. I think its the same as in other crash just happened in a more critical area. Theres no reason to believe it would ever happen again either

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Maybe you could repair permissions and whatnot, just to be sure?

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, considering that that's basically what kernel panics looked like through 10.2, I'd guess that once it a while even 10.3 fails to give you the "attractive" grey shade and multi-lingual message in a few cases. Perhaps particularly severe system crashes, or crashes that somehow prevent the pretty version from getting drawn.

As with any system crash, though, other than doing a disk check (start into single user mode, or just start from the install discs and use the Disk Utility there) and maybe checking permissions (not likely to cause or solve panic problems, though) just hope it won't happen again unless you start to see it on a regular basis.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-ChrisH3677

I really hate to bring this up, but your "System Failure: cpu=0 code=0000007 (unaligned stack)" looks familiar. My DP450 from a few years ago started panicking with a code like this, and it turns out what was hapeneing was the CPU's were overheating - and shortly died (my fault - too close to a heater).

How's you ventilation? Is it drawing cool air?

9. haiggy macrumors 65816

yo man this happened to me too not too long ago. my screen just rolled up like movie credits and then it got replaced by the white on black text and kept repeating and repeating... i had to force-restart

10. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

remeber no OS is immued to hardware glitchs causing crashes and as it stands never will be.

Apple are just as septible to a hardware glitch causing the crash as any other OS computer. A hardware glitch can and will even crash DOS which is blows OSX out of the what in stabililty (just using it as a example. DOS sucks in most ways but stability)