What happened?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by co2co, Jul 9, 2004.

1. co2co macrumors newbie

Any clues or help greatly appreciated.
    Have just downloaded a file from Acqusition (file share prog), a small file called something like "Word 2004 osx web download.sit" It was only something like 134k not the whole programme obviously. Anyhows, on opening the damn thing I appear to have lost all my saved files (IE favourites, stickies, icalendar and odd things like that inc.), everything on the desktop, all my saved prefferences and even the Acquisition prog itself!!

Luckily this is a relatively new mac (3 weeks - g4 pbook 1.33 osx10.3.4) and not too much has gone missing - but still enough to cause a minor swearing fit.
    New to osx, so really do not know where to go form here. Previously would have run norton on os9 to get a few clues but this option is not available to me here.
    Seems to me as though I have gone back to factory settings or some such and all previous has gone west.
    Anything I can do or have I just been a daft chancer downloading dodgy files from such apps?

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Read this story for details.

Sorry to hear you got stung by it.

3. co2co thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh dear.

Thanks for that! Someone has suggested to me wiping the disk and starting again. Is this my best option from here?

4. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I think it's your only option short of a recovery program. And since it's relatively new no worries or very little from what you said.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You could try recovering some of what you've lost, but, if it wasn't much, then wiping and reinstalling isn't a horrible idea, as it will put your disk back into original condition. However, it shouldn't be necessary, as I think you'd need to run that nasty little bugger again (and you won't, right?) to cause the problem - I don't think anything bad has been installed (but you can read the link above to see if I'm wrong). But a reinstall is probably your best bet in your situation.

Just beware of apps you download from such places, as you've certainly learned by now!

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

The one thing you really shouldn't have downloaded. :(

Its just a couple of weeks old though so no worries. This is exactly why you shouldn't use p2p's.