iPad mini What happens if the 2nd generation iPad Mini does not have Retina display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AbyssImpact, Feb 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

If Apple upgraded the iPad mini and calls it the 2nd generation, would you be disappointed if there is no retina display?

Would you still buy it with an upgraded processor (possibly A6) and a better camera (8MP)?

2. macrumors regular

IMHO, retina will come with the 3rd gen next year. hopefully i'm wrong :)

3. macrumors 6502a

Then we would all still be in here complaining about how Apple is going down now and Tim Cook is not half as good as Jobs. Still, most of us would probably buy the device.

4. macrumors regular

It will spend the end for Apple

5. Guest

People will buy it and Apple makes more money.

6. macrumors 6502

Anandtech himself... the absolute master of electronics... said not to expect a retina display in 2013.

I value his expert opinion over anyone elses on this forum.

7. macrumors regular

kitzuki

Exactly

Most analyst have been wrong before... Remember the 2011 and 2012 black MacBook pros mostly every site said this was happening

When apple has a lower priced product and a higher priced in the same family they are not usually in a rush to upgrade majorly their lower end. I for one am not expecting a retina mini this year. But hey maybe Cook will surprise many.

8. macrumors regular

I don't buy it and life goes on. Lol. Seriously people. Hahahahaha

9. macrumors G5

jav6454

Most likely no retina. After all, Retina on such screen will be a challenge and high cost issue.

10. macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I will still buy it and so will millions.

11. macrumors 68000

These forums were almost certain the iPad 2 was going to have a retina display.

When it didn't, people said it was the end of Apple, the end of innovation and it's the worst product update in history.

The iPad 2 went on to be a massive success, still sold today, and anyone can now see how big of an upgrade it was over the first iPad.

The same will happen again.

12. macrumors newbie

We cry:(

13. macrumors 68040

The 1st gen adopters get to laugh at the people who held out at the hopes of getting a 2nd gen retina mini. :p

14. macrumors 6502

:confused:Yeah, because of course no one's interested in buying non-retina iPad minis.

15. macrumors 6502

Corax

Life will go on :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 603

Menel

The challenge will be...

326DPI and maintaining the thinness of the current Mini.
    Cost involved in that.

Apple may be able to pull it off. They may not. All Anand is saying, don't set yourself up for disappointment.

17. macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Keep my first gen mini and wait until a retina version comes out. No rush.

18. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Who said there will ever be an iPad mini with retina display?

19. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No because I'm satisfied with my mini now. Retina is not a show stopper for my needs. Would I like one, sure, but since I dropped bucket load of money to buy the mini, I'm content with what I have and I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

20. macrumors 6502

21. macrumors 6502

Hmm, and to think I haven't looked at that site in three years. Still, I agree that 2013 is not the year for a retina ipad mini. It would cause too much volatility to the screen supplies for both ipad series as the full size ipad is getting a new screen to allow it to fit into the new enclosure for the ipad 5. I am looking forward to the retina ipad mini in 2014, but for now I'm keeping my eyes open for news on this iWatch device.

22. macrumors 68000

TyPod

Exact thoughts for me! I would actually be kind of happy if it doesn't get a retina display yet.

23. macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I'd really love for it to get retina (of course), I'd upgrade mine immediately. If it doesn't get retina, will I upgrade? Very possible, mostly because I got the 32GB WiFi version, and I think the next one I buy must be 64GB and perhaps I'll even consider a Wifi/Cellular version too. I find myself having to manage the space on my 32GB mini too often - it's not impossible, but not preferred - mostly, it's a lot of big game apps that take up so much space, and I'd like to have a bit more breathing room for those.

24. macrumors 6502a

chestvrg

If it comes out, I would definitely buy it. My son already has the mini (and daddy is in love with his ipad mini :D ), so if the retina version comes out I sure will buy it.