What happens if they update PowerBooks and I just bought one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by endoscient, Jun 3, 2005.

1. endoscient macrumors member

What will happen if buy a PowerBook today, and they update it sunday. Or anytime in the near future. I think I remember hearing they have a 15-day or so free update, but I am not sure.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can return it within either 10 or 14 days (something like that) and pay a 10% restocking fee. There is no free update unless you order one which hasn't yet been assembled/shipped.

3. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

And if they lower the price (only from Apple online) within 10 days, they will refund you the difference.

4. aznsal612 macrumors member

You will see Steve Jobs running away, laughing while he pockets your money. :p

I kid I kid.

5. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

You will then have a previous revision PowerBook! :p

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'll eat my shorts, cause I'm pretty sure they arent going to do anything to the powerbooks.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

As there have been so many other posts on this type of thread, it is impossible to time your purchase if you are looking for the most updated version of the computer. I used to be in the same thinking I want to get the most updated/advanced unit; but, I gave up on that because, if I do so, I cannot buy any computer equipment because we all know new and improved versions will be produced down the road. I think the current PB lines are well endowed at the current level (both of my Al PBs have enough punch to handle what I would like to do, including using CS2 standard suites. My old Ti PB (but it looks brand new as there is not a single scratch) 550Mhz is running good with Tiger.

8. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Buy your PowerBook now because there will be no PowerBook updates this week, especially at WWDC.

9. endoscient thread starter macrumors member

ya, I ordered it. it will always be a constant guessing game. cant wait until I get.

10. azntigger0212 macrumors newbie

hm...so if I buy a PB at an apple store I can't get the difference if they lower the price? that's disappointing...I was hoping to get it faster that way, but if that's the case...

11. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I'm almost positive you can still do a price match within 14 days. Thats what the manager told me at the Oakbrook IL store.

12. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I think the point being made was that you will get an *automatic* discount if you puchase online and a price drop occurs within the time frame. If you purchase from a local Apple store, you probably have to take your receipt back.