What happens to my music if...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrSugar, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

simple question.

What happens to all the itunes music I have on my g5 if it crashes. I have it backed up but will I still have the authority to play it?

thanks for the info

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I assume you mean stuff from iTunes... you will, as long as when you reinstall iTunes you use the same account (username/password) for the iTunes Store as you used when you bought it.

Rob

3. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Wow,

Duh, okay that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help!

4. altair macrumors regular

It will just ask you to authorize the songs, basically get the same pop up window as if you had tried to play someone else's songs. Just type in the account you used to buy it and the pw, and violla.

5. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

There is one other very important thing you should know. When you have an authorized computer you must remember to de-authorize it before you erase it or sell it. Because you are only allowed a certain number of authorized computers to listen to your music. If you loose a computer or an OS X installation that you did not de-authorize first, you have permanently lost one of your authorized systems. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you are only allowed to have five. The moral of the story is always de-authorize first!

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Customer service will reset your authorizations if need be, they send you an automated "we don't like to do this" email but they still do it. Its not like you've lost them forever. I've had it done twice, both due to hard drive failures.

7. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

That's good to know. In fact, I even know of someone who lost all there authorized computer that way (i.e. os reinstalls). Apple was able to reset them.