Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxr808s

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Thinking about exchanging Air in for an iMac. I really love it, but I need a larger screen and work area.

Anyway, my question is, I got the back to school $100 card and have since used about $20 of it.

If I return my MBA, what happens to the gift card? Will they subtract it from the refund total?

Hopefully someone has some experience with this.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I did that today. I hadn't activated the gift card yet, so they just deactivated it. Whatever part of it you have used, you will be responsible for paying that amount. That's what they told me.

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Thinking about exchanging Air in for an iMac. I really love it, but I need a larger screen and work area.

Anyway, my question is, I got the back to school $100 card and have since used about $20 of it.

If I return my MBA, what happens to the gift card? Will they subtract it from the refund total?

Hopefully someone has some experience with this.

Since you will get the same giftcard when you purchase the iMac, nothing should happen !!

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
they'll just deduct $100 off your refund. They won't do partial refunds. You are out $100 even if you only redeemed it and haven't used any of the amount.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Really? Wow, that sucks. I guess since I didn't do anything with it, they just told me to tear it up.

dxr808s

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
They deduct 100$ off the returned funds.

Ok cool. I'm cool with that, I will definitely use it, was just wondering what the actual process was.

Since you will get the same giftcard when you purchase the iMac, nothing should happen !!

I thought of that too. They just don't send me a new card and I don't have to pay anything, but that seems complicated.

Yep good thing you didn't, My 2 $100 gift cards are still there untouched until I'm 100% sure of which I'm keeping.

Two? ;)

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Ok cool. I'm cool with that, I will definitely use it, was just wondering what the actual process was.

I thought of that too. They just don't send me a new card and I don't have to pay anything, but that seems complicated.

Two? ;)

Yes, I ordered one 13" ultimate on day of release and a few nights ago when I couldn't bear it any longer, I went to 5th ave apple store close to midnight and brought home a 11" higher base model. Got both on education discount and got 2 gift cards :D I'm getting my 13" MBA delivered tomorrow and then I'll be able to decide which I'm going to keep. Apple sent out the gift card ahead of the 13"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.