What happens to the ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AP_piano295, Apr 8, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

If we see the tiger release in the next few days are they gonna boost the ibooks emacs, and minis to 64mb video memory.

2. The Black Rock macrumors regular

I don't think anyone has any definite answers to that unless they're Apple Insiders.

(And if anyone here is an Apple Insider you're wanted in all of the Tiger and Hardware update threads.)

There has been speculation to the effect of boosting the VRAM in the entire Apple line up, but nothing more substantial than that.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It would be nice of they upped the bottom-line VRAM to 64 MB standard, the top-line VRAM to 128 MB standard, and "optional" super-top-line upgrades to 256 MB for the Power line BTO's.

Yeah it will eventually happen, but it'd be nice of Tiger made them do it sooner rather than later.

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

That is such a great movie. :D

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

7. AstroManLuca macrumors member

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Well, if its an American joke....

Dosn't make it any easier to get.

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well updates too the iBook and iMac and PM are comming very soon..i hope :p

But if they will have 64Mb VRAM nobody know unless you work at apple ;)

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

CORE IMAGE DOSE NOT NEED 64MB VRAM

it's gpu core dependent, it will not run on a 128MB geforce 4 ti but it will run on the 32MB 5200 in the rev b 12" powerbook, you need a directx 9 compliant gpu 5200 or newer or 9600 or newer, no 9200 is supported even with 1GB vram.

supported cards:

geforce 5200 ultra
    geforce 6800 ultra/GT
    geforce 5200 go
    radeon 9600 pro
    radeon 9600 XT
    radeon 9700 pro
    radeon 9800 pro
    radeon 9800 SE
    radeon 9800 XT
    radeon x800 XT
    radeon mobility 9600
    radeon mobility 9700

11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Heres a profound thought for everyone who asks this question. Who buys an ibook to do core imaging work? :rolleyes:

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

do you even know what core image is/dose :rolleyes:.

it's going to be heavyly used in ilife applications aswell as FCP and at the pro end, it dose effect consumers, i'm just happy my g4 cube supports core image :p

13. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Hector,
    If I may, maybe what the good Captain meant to say was something like that iBook purchasers are buying something they should know is not necessarily going to be the most future-proof option, from a hardware standpoint, and not necessarily going to have all the bells and whistles of more expensive alternatives, however important or not one considers them. Or he was making a pun!

14. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Hey thanks mcgarry. I knew we were pals. :D :p

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, from what I've seen, even the last generation iBook has some basic Core Image functionality. I have a developer friend who showed me some cool tricks he can do with the latest Tiger build on a 12" 1GHz G4 iBook. I think people are confusing the requirements of Motion and CI, especially thanks to some early recommended configurations. And worse, confusing some of CI's fancier effects with actually running Tiger itself.

Remember when Quartz Extreme's requirements seemed to be at least 32MB VRAM, even though Apple was still selling iBooks with 16MB? And they later changed the specs? Same thing.

I do hope they up the specs a bit though, even if the 12" PBook only has a 64MB 5200.

16. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

The 12" PBook does have a 64MB 5200. I think you meant the ibook. :D

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nope, Apple is notorious for holding back it's consumer stuff when it's pro-stuff is lagging. If the current 12" PBook has a 64MB 5200, what will they put in the iBook?

That's what I meant. ;)

18. Cue macrumors regular

Care to elaborate more on this as I'm a bit off track with mac history.
    thx! :)

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the 600/700MHz g3 16MB vram and the 550MHz/667MHz tibooks had a 16MB radeon mobility, the ibook i am typeing on now has one, the QE requirments are "Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.
    "

but originaly people thought it needed 32MB vram, vram has nothing to do with it, if a 4MB radeon existed it would run QE fine, there was a card that was like a 32MB rage and that would not work with QE.

looking back when QE came out it was not that importent with 10.2 and it was a non issue, but then with 10.3 there is a large noticeable difference without QE, there is no anti apliasing when you use exposé, fast user switching is no where neer as cool looking, the whole UI is not quite as nice, i suspect the same thing will happen with CI, i would hate to of had a ibook with a rage mobility, i'm so glad i got an updated one.

20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Generally speaking the iBooks are as good as the previous generation Powerbooks.

So with this in mind i would expect a fair amount of ommph from an iBook, just not that much.

21. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I would be willing to save up for a Powerbook, but I don't need as much power as the Powerbooks have. I would, however, like all the functionality of a Pro-based Apple Computer so that upgrading to a new Apple Computer would be minimal, with regard to the non-existant G5 PB iB line. In the end run, I see myself saving up for a Powerbook.
    As long as the iBooks have the basis functionality for new OS Architecture, besides 64-bit computing which may take a while for iB or PB as stated above, I'll buy an iBook. Other than that, I think if the new iB's don't come with a Video Card that supports the new Architecture of Tiger, I'll go with a Powerbook. - Wise choice?

22. nikeballa09 macrumors member

this might be a newb question, but i am thinking about switchin soon, and i would like to know what exactly core imaging is? and what does it do? what is its purpose? what kinda of used would take advantage of this technology? thanks

23. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but here is the official answer. You can also try searching this board for some in-depth discussions, if you haven't already.

24. nikeballa09 macrumors member

thanks for that link. i kind of understand how it works. so basically core image hepls apps like photoshop? does it just make manipulation images easier, or simply faster?