What Happens to your iTunes Music when you Die?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedMacMan, Nov 10, 2006.

1. RedMacMan macrumors member

Sep 16, 2003
    All your purchases are tied to your account. Since you have purchased the music, you should be able to will it to someone else just like you would if you had purchased the phyiscal CDs. Does Apple's account system and terms of service allow this? If you die without telling anyone else your password, will Apple assist you in unlocking the files?

Not that I'm expecting to die but this just occured to me.
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    As far as I know, if you die, the authorization dies with you. I'm sure that, by now, Apple has dealt with this, but I'm guessing that the purchase is for the lifetime of the purchaser only.
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I assume it is considered property. When your will is probated, Apple should give control of your iTunes account to your beneficiary.
  4. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    Why don't you send them an email? They may have already a section about that in their licence agreement, but who reads those things anyways? :)
  5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I opened and searched for 'death' and there wasn't anything there, but yeah no one reads all that.
  6. asxtb macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2005
    If I remember correctly their was a family that sued Yahoo because their son died in Iraq and they wanted access to his email account for memories of his final words. Yahoo refused to give them the password because they said the account dies with the person and it is part of the agreement when using their email service. You'll have to Google it to find out more. Granted that is email and this is music but it is all part of the digital world. People are going to have to start willing passwords the same as other physical objects.