What happens went i turn off my computer mid install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BRUUUCE, Dec 4, 2006.

1. BRUUUCE macrumors member

Installing bootcamp today on my iMac - the windows product key is on the OEM i purchased. I put the cd in (and dont write the code down) ..... install... now i need my key. I don't mine restarting this process but what happens to the partitions? will i lose everything? can i use this same partition when i try to install again? or any tricks how to get the cd out without messing up the install?

thanks!

2. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

Um... Yea your gonna have to do it again.. it as in everything. Like reformat and such.

3. BRUUUCE thread starter macrumors member

i turned my computer back on this morning and it went straight to setting up windows again. so, how do i get the CD out? the first screen was a black "boot from CD" then the windows XP screen and then the set up. So i either need to figure out how to eject this cd from my imac or boot into os x.

suggestions?

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Start up while holding option. That should work.

5. BRUUUCE thread starter macrumors member

im using a windows USB keyboard, is that just the windows key? or am i going to have to find a mac usb keyboard

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows Alt = Mac Option

B

7. BRUUUCE thread starter macrumors member

worked perfect, but the key isn't on the CD! so i either threw it out or i was shipped an OEM without a key. (i swear i saw it somewhere)

since its OEM, I assume im out of luck obtaining another key through mircrosoft?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check with the vendor you bought it from. Here's an earlier thread with similar issues: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=217367 Good luck!

B

9. BRUUUCE thread starter macrumors member

called that number, directed me to an email, that email bounced.

so, i think im going to break down and buy XP at best buy. ****** cause the installation did work i believe (i see hdd on computer, restarts in windows perfectly, just need that product key)

thanks everyone for the help