What happens when iPod is full?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by The Shadow, May 30, 2003.

1. The Shadow macrumors regular

I've had a 10 GB iPod for about 8 months, god love it. I'm in the habit of only copying my favourite songs into iTunes and I'm pretty fussy so I haven't quite filled up the podster just yet.

But I accumulate music very quickly, and I would like to know what happens when there is more music in iTunes than will fit into the iPod? Do you set up some sort of preferences? :confused:

My thanks to anyone who replies.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It simply says "there is not enough space on the disk for all the songs you have selected" and copies what will fit. After that, nadda. My 5GB is packed FULL.

Oh, yeah-- if you want to free up space, you just delete songs from the iPod's library listing. Then you can drag songs you want instead from the iTunes library to the iPod icon on the left.

3. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

4. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

So would you turn off the auto sync, delete all the files off the iPod, then create a large new playlist (you might add to from time to time) and drag this onto the iPod?

What the...?

5. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Go into iTune's preferences and turn off auto updating and then either tell it to sync certain playlists or to manually control songs.

If you manually control songs you just mount your iPod and then drag songs from your library to the you iPod in the source list (down the left side of iTunes).

I hope that helps.

And for the record, everytime I filled mine up I did buy a bigger one lol!

1899 songs and counting!

MacboyX

6. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.

Not sure I like it though. Such an obvious problem. You would think you could set up preferences so ony a designated playlist, such as all songs rate 4 or more would sink.

Ah well, some of us are hard to please.

7. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

the best idea would not be deleating any songs. Just go through your library and uncheck the songs you really dont want on there. You can uncheck them on the far left side of the library and the boxes should be blue (or graphite if you have the grahpite aqua enabled) and checked. Unchecking thr boxes mwill prevent them from being automatically used (put onto your ipod or automatically played during regular itunes usage), but the songs can still be played manually and are never deleated.

But, unchecking songs that are already on the ipod removes them from the ipod upon updating, so be sure you dont want it on there.

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Actually, I think you can set the preferences so it will sync only certain playlists.

Haven't tried it myself, though.

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I do it all manually, there are simply some albums I don't need on my ipod and it's not really a big deal to drag and drop the songs/albums you want on it....

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude