what happens?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, May 12, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I have collected many windows apps over the years, that come in both windows and mac versions. I just ordered an iMac and am making the switch. I wanted to know what will happen if i like try to install photoshop from my windows version? Will it just not read it or will it like break my computer? Is photoshop coded the same way for both windows and pc's? Will i have any chance of using my photoshop version on my new mac? Thats really the only program i care about.

2. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Sorry Jer, your Photoshop is written to run on a different processor architecture.

On the upside, the Mac version runs really well on any G5 system.

Not to say that it doesn't do well on a G4, thats how I use it, but the G5 really makes it shine, from what I understand.

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

When I bought Creative Suite for Mac it did not come with a Windows version on the same media so I believe it's safe to say that you will have to buy a new version of Photoshop. You can't install the Windows version on your iMac :eek:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The only exception I know to that is the OEM Photoshop Elements CDs, which are mac/pc. My PSE 3 cd is Mac-only, but my PSE 2 OEM cd, from my Digital Rebel, is PC/Mac. But no, sadly, you cannot install PC software on a mac unless you use something à la VirtualPC, and you *do not* want to run Photoshop of any kind on VPC. :(

I do think that CS has a license change option where you can pay a nominal fee and convert from Windows <-> Mac, though.