What Hard Disk for an iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mpw, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I've got an iBook with a knackered hard drive but no idea what drive to replace it with?
    I found instructions on how to change the hard drive elsewhere on the forums but need to find out what will fit in before I order it or start taking the laptop apart.
    It was a 30GB item in an iBook bought from Apple in August '03 (700mhz 12"part #Z05001750 model A1005)
    The iBook is now being replaced as my main PC so I'm looking for an inexpensive hard drive that only needs to be say 10GB.
    What should I be looking for? Any recomendations? And finally once I install it is loading the OS etc onto it a big deal or simple throw in a CD and follow the instructions?

Any help would be great.
  2. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The ibook will need a 2.5" 9,5mm drive.

A new 40 GB can be had for under $100.
    The 20 and 30 gbs can be had for about $80.
    I'm not sure where to find 10gb drives anmore.

OWC http://eshop.macsales.com has both Hitachi, fujitsu and toshiba drives
  3. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    You should definately go to www.xlr8yourmac.com and check out their drive compatibility database. There are lots of iBook owners who have replaced their drives and posted their experiences.

I went from a 10GB/4200RPM HDD to a 40GB/5400RPM/16MBcache Toshiba drive. The drive cost me $100 and the firewire case for the old drive was about $25.

Since you're going from a 30GB, you might want to check out the 60GB or 80GB Toshibas with the 16MB cache. Also, Hitachi drives have been recommended as well. Going with a 5400 or 7200 RPM drive should speed up your iBooks performance a little, without affecting the battery too much.

And when you actually do the replacement, it helps to have a digital camera handy to take pictures of where the screws should go. Or at the very least, draw a diagram and tape the screws to the appropriate place on the diagram. That way, you'll know which screw goes where.

Also, make sure you get the correct sized screwdrivers, torx drivers, hex wrenches as you do not want to strip any screw. Big time PITA.

EDIT - oops, I misread the part about wanting a 10GB drive. You can find 20GB/4200 drives, but they might only be a little cheaper than a 30/40 GB drive.
  4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Help yourself and put the 7200 rpm there... I won't do it because my iBook is under warranty ... but with a dated book it pays off.
  5. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004