what hard drive is used in the g5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thoughtcriminal, Nov 30, 2003.

1. thoughtcriminal macrumors newbie

hello.
    i am planning to buy a g5 soon with a 250 gig hard drive, gonna get another 250 too for a raid, so could anyone tell me what make / model it is?

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Firstly I'm affraid I can't tell you for sure in some models I believe they use Western Digital. I have raid set up in my G5 (striping) and the two drives in question are completely different except for rpm speed (both 7200). I also have a PC with raid and the MBO manual with that stated clearly that the two drives should be identical, apple say no such I don't think it really matters it didn't in the G4.

3. thoughtcriminal thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, ok, thanks for the answer.
    i'll probably go with the western digital then, although i've heard the new hitachi's are nice.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

hard drive don't have to be identical for RAID, but for an optimal setup having identical drive is essential.

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

they need to be identically spec'd. Any 250GB SATA Drive that meets of exceeds the specs of the master drive will do fine.

BTW - hitachi make a very nice drive - had no probs with them. Have had with WD - lost a drive after a year. But then people have horror stories from all HDD manufacturers.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

The 250GB drive that shipped with my G5 is a Maxtor, though I wish it wasn't (noisy, hot, and from semi-anecdotal evidence not terribly reliable).

If you're not going to be anal about matching your volumes (in which case you should wait and see what Apple sends you, since I don't think they're consistent--depends on whatever is cheap at the time), I'd personally recommend Hitachi as well.

I bought a Hitachi for my main drive, and at this point they seem to be the best choice for SATA; they're priced reasonably, they're the fastest thing outside of a Raptor (in fact, they're nearly as fast as a first gen Raptor in most benchmarks), they're quiet, they have a 3 year warranty, and I haven't heard any serious complaints about reliability since the 75GXP debacle a couple years ago.

I probably would've preferred a Seagate, since they're very quiet, tend to run cool, and have a very good reliability record, but for some bizare reason their SATA drives only have a 1 year warranty. Embarassing, if you ask me, especially since the high end non-SATA versions of the exact same model have a 3 year warranty.

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

western digital is bringing out a serial ata that runs at 10,000rpm and has 16MB cache. anyone with an extra couple hundred should get that and replace the maxtor if thats what you have. maxtor are more of a basic needs system kinda drive so I don't know why apple used them. western digital, segate and ibm drives are the best I would say.

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

by the way, in case anyone is unsure or doesn't know ibm and hitachi are the same company (at least when it comes to hard drives)

9. James.Paul macrumors regular

Mine shipped with a Maxtor 250gb drive. It's product code is 6Y250MO. I have just received a second drive which is 7Y250MO to enable raid. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

10. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I should have probably said that capacity on both of mine was the same as well mind you I did think that was pretty logical without having to spell it out. If your primary use is video or audio where the whole hard drive is used then both Western Digital and Maxtor offer the better alternatives as both have faster minimum transfer rates.
    I just checked the make of hard drive in my G5 and it's a Seagate drive.

11. thoughtcriminal thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the information, i think i'll wait till i get the computer now, might stick it our fot the 10,000 rpm drives, mostly gonna be used for audio and maybe serving a lil'.

12. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Hey all.

I know very little about the inards of computer hardware, and don't care to know more than what I need to do basic upgrades. I bought a new hard drive for my G5 at CompUSA this weekend. I get it home, and find out it won't connect to the G5 - wrong kind of connection plugs. I guess I need a "serial ata" not a "ultra ata," which is what I bought. Box said it was compatible with Macs, so I thought I'd be OK.

I returned that drive the next day, but I couldn't find anything on the shelf that was called a "serial ata." The website only lists one drive as "serial."

I'm I high, or are these hard to find? More to the point, where can I find them?

13. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

They aren't hard to find, just read the box. Although i agree with previous post you can usually find a better deal online.
    www.pricewatch.com