Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Hey everyone,

I've just started Folding for good ole' Team 3446 on my Mac Pro.
If anyone is curious, I have a username and passkey; and as of right now I'm about 75% finished with my 8th WU.

Username is: QuantumL0op

I'm new to folding, so any helpful tips/advice will be welcome :)

Welcome to the team!

you've got a nice rig there -- those quad 3.33 CPUs are still quite good for work.

As far as points go, your 680 should be pretty powerful. I'm curious to know. You will get bonus points QRB, or quick return bonus, on your Core17 GPU work units starting with work unit 11. I guess they make you do 10 with only the base points to ensure you're serious.

I do GPU folding only as I found that the points for the power weren't worth it. So I run only the GPU slot(s) and delete the CPU slot after it's finished the first work unit. Set the CPU slot to "finish" and delete the slot after the work unit finishes and the client sends the results back to the collection server.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask; there are folks here with more knowledge and experience than me!

Good luck, and thanks for joining!

Louis

----------

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1472518/

There's other threads where this was also done. Thread above is just how I did it.

That is extremely slick -- way to go and thanks for sharing how you did it on the forum. I'm tempted to do that now.... must... resist... :D

----------

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1472518/

There's other threads where this was also done. Thread above is just how I did it.

That is extremely slick -- way to go and thanks for sharing how you did it on the forum. I'm tempted to do that now....

...but... must... resist... :D

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
Welcome to the team!

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask; there are folks here with more knowledge and experience than me!

Good luck, and thanks for joining!

Louis

Alright cool! I've already disabled the CPU slot; so I guess now all I need to do is let it run! Thankfully, this cooler weather makes me WANT to let my MP fold 24 hours a day to keep my room warm :p Although, the GTX 680 is actually running pretty cool for being at 99% load constantly! 60C @ 65% fan speed... not bad :cool:

Anyways, thanks for your response; and I look forward to being a part of the MacRumors Team!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Alright cool! I've already disabled the CPU slot; so I guess now all I need to do is let it run! Thankfully, this cooler weather makes me WANT to let my MP fold 24 hours a day to keep my room warm :p Although, the GTX 680 is actually running pretty cool for being at 99% load constantly! 60C @ 65% fan speed... not bad :cool:

Anyways, thanks for your response; and I look forward to being a part of the MacRumors Team!

hey, great, sounds like you're good to go! I also found that having the CPU at 100% did make my work projects a bit jerky and unresponsive so I think you've got the right balance there. I've only got a 560 so I'm not going to bother folding on my Mac Pro. Leave that to the Windows boxes :)

60°C on a 680 sounds pretty efficient to me...

these newer Mac Pros aren't nearly as good for room heating as the old G5s :D

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Hahaha, tell me about it! I've got three Dual 2.0 G5s... They could probably heat my entire house... and use more power than the actual heater, too :eek:
Oh yeah. I remember folding on my G5 quad with one client per CPU. My window was open, my ceiling fan was on, closed off heating vent and with it being 10*F outside, the room was still 90+ lol.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

sounds good. thanks for joining the team! and you can always overclock that card if you get brave! ;)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Hey everyone,

I've just started Folding for good ole' Team 3446 on my Mac Pro. Here's the hardware I'm folding with:

Xeon W3580 @ 3.33GHz (Quad)
Evga GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition @ Classified clocks
12 GB DDR3 @1333 RAM
2x250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs on Velocity Solo X2
600 GB WD VelociRaptor 10k RPM
2 TB Seagate SSHD

Right now I'm only folding with the GTX 680 and I'm getting around 41k PPD. Is that normal or should I be getting higher than that? Also, is there any specific way I should configure the client to get the most PPD? I'm folding under Windows 8.1 Pro, btw.

If anyone is curious, I have a username and passkey; and as of right now I'm about 75% finished with my 8th WU.

Username is: QuantumL0op

I'm new to folding, so any helpful tips/advice will be welcome :)

Welcome to the team.

Always good to get new members. Let us know if you need help; but seems you got all needed stuff settled perfectly yourself. Wait for the boost after 10th WU

Just in case a link where you can easy track your and the team's progress:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=649427

:)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so close!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 351

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
clearly, at least one of them is crying out to be converted to a Hackintosh :)

Hahaha, I've been thinking about doing that for a while now; and you may have just convinced me! The holiday season is here, so now I have a "reason" to buy all the hardware I need..... ;)

Man, now I'm all excited!!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What projects you got assigned ? If not 0x17 there would be no bonus points hence PPD very low.
Can you copy from log file ?

Update: based on your points it's 8018; no QRB as k-factor is 0; please check of your client-type is on advanced. Core 17 should be fully released but bad enough there are still old projects; not much we can do.

Update of update: seems you are back in business with 0x17 :)

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
What projects you got assigned ? If not 0x17 there would be no bonus points hence PPD very low.
Can you copy from log file ?

Update: based on your points it's 8018; no QRB as k-factor is 0; please check of your client-type is on advanced. Core 17 should be fully released but bad enough there are still old projects; not much we can do.

Update of update: seems you are back in business with 0x17 :)

Yeah I checked it this morning and they were grinding away with the 17. I added the beta flags since they were gone. I did have to reinstall the client since it wasn't launching correctly.

Or should I change to advanced? I believe when I originally set it up, I had both flags.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Yeah I checked it this morning and they were grinding away with the 17. I added the beta flags since they were gone. I did have to reinstall the client since it wasn't launching correctly.

Or should I change to advanced? I believe when I originally set it up, I had both flags.

Politically correct is "advanced" ; with the recent release of core 0x17 it should be sufficient. With beta you face the risk of failing WU, rare but happen.
Plus right now anyway only 8900 WU for 0x17; 7810/7811 are finished. Try once advanced on card and see what happen.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Been overclocking the titans a bit. One runs at 1188hz and the other runs at 1201hz. I think that's about as much as I'll push them since they are still air cooled. Stable at stock volts.

It's manage to take some time off each TPF. Went from around 3:10-15 down to 2:45 TPF.

I think I need a Kill-A-Watt so I can see how many watts my Mac is pulling with the aux PSU. I'd probably quit folding lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.