What Hi-Fi 2004

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by garybUK, Oct 16, 2004.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I get a magazine called What Hifi every month and they review and show off the latest hifi gear. They are not the easiest of people they really like to rip into things and they absolutely hate computer based audio, they are the audiophile types.

Anyway this months edition comes in the form of an awards format where they rent out a hotel in London at Olympia and companies show off their stuff in demo rooms and what-hifi pick the best kit in 3 or 4 price ranges.

They also have a section for best Technology of 2004 and guess what... Airport Express won the top award!! they say the audio quality is excellent, if you use AAC or Apple Lossless which, trust me, is a big honor from What Hifi! :) they also review the ipod 4g saying that apple has drastically increased the audio quality and its a much better audio product. Other products like Dell's and Creative's dont even get a look in.

Apple are even having their own stand in the Hifi Show at Olympia, now that's saying something as they will be surrounded by Hifi monsters such as B&W, Cyrus, Mission, Naim, Kef, Monitor Audio, Arcam, Quad.

Just thought i'd share it because i was very surprised when I read it.

2. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    wow, that's good news. i used to read what hi fi all the time when i was back in blighty. good mag. i do however find it odd that apple has a big presence in both the magazine and the show...a little bit of a biased awards edition? probably not, it's a decent mag, but you never know.

still, that i do like to hear :)

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

That is cool to hear, especially considering I just revamped my whole system at home to include two Airport Expresses!

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

All the What ! magazines tend to tell it like it is, so I'd bet that most people will respect their opinions.

It's another win for Apple, in any case. Got to love when things go right. :)

5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i have read what hifi before when looking for some audio stuff and also have an audiophile friend who is seriously picky about sound. It seems that they both have the same opinion now! but i know what you mean they can be very very harsh about stuff and only judge things by the highest standards. its good to see Apple finally getting some recognition from the music types that so often complain about digital music players etc.

Here come the airport express clones!

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh, does that mean it's OK for me now to go and buy a nice pair of Kefs for my system? I was waiting for an excuse... :)

7. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Definately :) last year when I went, I came out with some new Rotel Kit :p about £2000 worth ...

Reading back I don't think it will be an Apple stand but some of their stuff will be on show there working etc... Thing is, Hifi & Computers are merging now and now that 99% of the country can get Broadband and the advent of Music Stores online means that more and more people are going to be using their computers as a media source, I dont think they will replace Tape/CD/Vinyl but become another addition to the plethora of media.

Home theatre pc's havn't taken off at all, like was predicted by Microsoft. The airport express is nothing new a few companies have done these devices before but the control mechanisms have been absolutely awful. I love the airport express because it means I can make my own web based controller using my PDA and it has wifi built in so it will connect to the express base station..... time to order one i think!

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ok then, you've given me permission.

:)

But seriously, they're a few years off with a bit of saving to do.

My Dad was the Kef-nut and I'll get some eventually... I always loved the sound of his Akai reel to reel (!) system, so much that I used to be the one hogging it.