What hubs do you use?? (other hardware q's)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phillipjfry, Feb 20, 2007.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

So I am prepping for my first Mac, and I'm checking into self-powered usb (firewire?) hubs. I have some flash drives I use more often than not, a usb camera (very much thinking about getting a better one, suggestions? :) ).
    Also, I have a very much loved Logitech Mediaplay wireless mouse.
    What hubs do you all use?
    Also, is it possible to get my mouse media buttons to work in OSX?
    Oooh, while I'm thinking about it, do they have Apple mousepads? Maybe a white pad with a black open apple on it? :)
    Sorry for all the questions, just excited about breaking the M$ chain of abuse and getting knee deep into Apple products. :)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i got some targus one, the ports light up blue and when in use flash... i got it best buy for like ~$20, it does the job.... i have my printer, ipod and use it for my flash drive... it works fine, it take a little longer to update my ipod then usual.

3. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

I have some Bytecc powered USB hubs. I've gone through like... 1 and a half tho, they flake out after a while but you get what you pay for. They do have sweet blue LEDs tho.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I used a cheesy generic one from RadioShack for years without the slightest issue (it was USB1, however).

I can say DON'T get one of the mini Belkin ones, though--I generally like their stuff and bought one since it was the smallest powered USB2 hub I could find, but it was constantly flaking out for absolutely no apparent reason.

Got so annoying that eventually I just stuck a $10 PCI card in and used that for the extra ports instead.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using an ADS dual link hub that services 4 USB 2.0 ports and 3 extra Firewire ports. It was about $40 and very reliable.

I haven't seen mouse pads from Apple other than those that they give away.

As far as the Logitech mouse, have you tried the Logitech Control Center version 2.1.3 software? I'm using a keyboard with media controls and it works well. It may have a profile for your mouse.

6. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Ok, so I guess according to Logitech I cannot use my mouse with OSX, I might just stick with the wireless MM instead. I might just have to settle not having my volume up/down buttons on my mouse (are they on the keyboard? I know the eject button is...)
    I like that ADS hub bousozoku mentioned, but I think I might end up sticking with a usb hub and if I get a firewire cam later, I will just connect it to the port on the back.
    I wish I could find someone that made custom mousepads :p

7. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

I use a belkin one £19.99 at the apple store

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

http://missingbite.com/mousepadsec.html

That looks like exactly what you're looking for. Not sure if they're custom made or old Apple handouts (you used to be able to get a grey plastic one with the word "Apple" on it in black if you bought a Mac--we have several really old ones where I work) or custom jobs, but I'd buy one if I had the money to burn.

Or you could get one of those "photo" mousepads where you stick your pictures under a clear plastic top layer, and just put one of the apple stickers that comes with the computer in there...

Oh, and I forgot to mention: there are volume controls on the keyboard, so it doesn't seem necessary to have them on your mouse (I sure wouldn't waste mouse buttons on that). You could also probably get something like USB Overdrive to custom configure the buttons on a mouse that isn't supported by Logitec's drivers.

I have an older Logitec 510 that I like very much and is supported by their driver, but frankly their drivers are so bad that I refuse to buy another Logitec mouse even though I like the hardware. Heck, there was a bug in their mouse driver that would set the tracking speed to "ridiculous" after every restart that was totally repeatable, yet it went unfixed for the driver for about two years. Just sad.

9. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I actually 2 NewerTech MiniStacks and have hard drives in both. They're combo FW and USB2 hubs.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Do they take SATA or IDE drives?

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I've got a seven port belkin - 5 on the back and two on top.

Plugged in the back is

iPod
    EyeTV stick
    External Drive (Video)
    scanner

On top

flash drive

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Here is a link so you can take a look.

13. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I might also end up getting the G7 logitech mouse
    I like the cut of its jib (it's a funny saying)

Anyone who uses it, have you had any complaints? I just dont trust the mx1000 after my last incident. Does the LCC work for all mice? Because the g7 mouse doesn't have a LCC for osx.