What I did for my summer vacation...

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Jul 24, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    aside from going through massive MR withdrawal - no internet access for 10 days!

We went up to Door County, Wisconsin (the so-called "Cape Cod of the Midwest"). We've been going every year for the past 10 years with my wife's parents, and we generally had a lot of fun.

Anyway, the point of this isn't to describe my vacation in detail, but to express how thankful I am that there are still honest people in this world. On Tuesday we had gone on a quick trip up the road from our condo (about 20 minutes) and wanted to take some pictures of the kids at a local attraction, so we threw the camera (my relatively new 350D) into the diaper bag so we didn't need to lug two large cases.

Anyway, we're loading up to come back, and Evan is a little cranky, we're trying to get the stroller back in the van, etc., and I set the diaper bag down on the sidewalk to get Kelsey in her car seat and other things situated.

Halfway back home, I suddenly realize that the diaper bag isn't in the van. Crap. :eek:

So we drive back the seemingly 4 hours (okay, 10 minutes) to where we were to look for the bag. Not there. Crap.

We go to the nearby restaurant and ask if anyone had turned it in, which they hadn't. Why would they? At least with the $1000 camera inside. Crap.

Luckily, 4 stores and about 15 minutes later, we found the bag. Someone had indeed found it and turned it in - complete with the camera, freshly purchased candies, etc. Whew!

I took a few hopefully interesting pictures that I'll now be able to show in the picture gallery.

Anyone else with any good vacation stories?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    None, hopefully, from inside the bag .... :eek: :D
  3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Ha! That would've been funny if whoever found it took some pictures before returning it... :p
  4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I went to my beach house in Rhode Island. I go there for about a week at a time 3 times a summer and every weekend when I'm not "on call". Heres an arial photo of the land that my house is on before I built my house. My house is between the pond and the ocean, but closer to the ocean.

I have a really incredible view- a pond on one side of the house, and on then the other side the ocean with a view of Block Island. The beach sorta curves around (not shown in pic) so I have almost like a 240 degree view of ocean. As you can see there are almost no houses around. I own all the land around the houes and I used to own the grey one in the picture.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    not from this year but...

a couple years ago 2 brothers and i, and one of their girlfriends, went to africa (ghana) to visit our oldest brother and his family. we went to a nature reserve and we took a tour where we drove our brother's jeep and the tour guide came along with us.. so...

(note: this is all very obvious the way i will describe it in hindsight, but try to imagine it going down in person as opposed to after the fact...)

so we drive out to a spot and we have to leave the little road in order to get a better view of some animals from a spot we get to on foot. so we're getting out and the guide lets us know it's best to leave the car unlocked in case we have to run from any animals and can just hop in the car quickly. so we bring a few cameras and walk a couple hundred feet through some brush where we see some cool various animals. at some point our guide excuses himself to go relieve himself. we're taking pictures and whatnot and in 5 or 8 minutes the guide returns and we head back to the car. we travel around, see elephants and monkeys and other cool animals. we have breakfast afterwards at the hotel on the grounds and then the guide asks us if we could give him a lift to a town that was on our way wherever we were going next. so we drive him for probably an hour and drop him off and we part ways.

a few hours later my brother's girlfriend gets her wallet to pay for something and notices that $200 is now missing. searches and searches and indeed confirms it is gone.

so thinking back it all fit. the guy wouldn't let us lock the car. he took a really long time to go to the bathroom (even if he was taking a crap it was still quite a while, not to mention how it'd be dangerous considering the reason he gave us for leaving the car locked)... what we all found mind boggling was that he asked us for a ride after. why not try to keep a distance from us? pretty ballsy. oh, and apparently he was a pretty new guide.. my brother who lived there called the park and asked them to look into it. not sure what ever came of that though

it put a definite damper on an otherwise awesome trip.
  6. emw thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    That sucks - that someone would take advantage of you like that. I would probably have trusted the guy too, so can't fault you for that. At least it was only the cash that was missing, and not passports or anything else.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is probably the beat part of the vacation story. An honest person, just some real midwest morality. The candy was really nice touch. I hope the vacation allowed you to feel renewed, refreshed, and relaxed. Will be looking forward to your pictures.
  8. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    my summer vacation eh, spent it working every day at the hospital and going to summer classes at night -_- not a fun vacation, thou i have gotten two new apple computers :p and i am goign to the Puffy AmiYumi concert in Sommerville in august
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I just got back from a 4-day trip to my partner's grandmother's funeral. I lost my debit card-- rather scary. No idea where it went. When I got to my office this morning, I had a message waiting from the bank, the hotel had found it and called it in, they wanted to know if they should mail it back or destroy it. I'm guessing some housekeeping staff found it somewhere, and turned it in. I was already cancelling it, I assumed if the housekeeping staff found it, they'd go on a shopping spree. There are still nice people out there.
  10. emw thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    wdlove - yes, I was feeling very relaxed and renewed, until I had to get back into work today :eek: :D

Still, it was good to be away with the family for a week without work (or internet access for that matter).

rainman::|:| - sorry to hear about your recent trip; having a close relative pass is bad enough, but to have the added stress of losing a debit card... :( Pass on my best to your partner - hopefully he's holding up well.

eva01 - when I was in school, I worked every summer vacation; it's how I went to college. Hopefully the payoff will be you can afford to go on some nicer "real" vacations later on in life. Have fun at the concert!
  11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Thanks for you the storyEMW :D

Haven't have my vacation yet. Am planning to drive down from Connecticut to Washington DC with the wife and our daughter "Eevee" at the end of August. I have to attend an American Chemical Society Meeting for a day. But for the rest of the week, we are going to museums, check out the White House and visit old friends around the area. Any other suggestions welcome ;)

EJBasile, can I visit your beach house in Rhode Island? :D
  12. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I'm glad you got your camera back. I've noticed that people in Wisconsin are really quite honest. There was just a story about a guy who found $2000 in a jacket he got at Goodwill and turned it in.

I was just up in door county for the 4th of July. Of course it's not that big of deal, it's only an hour away. But I always enjoy going up there. It's such a nice place.